I cannot get Flowol 4 [LINUX] to run! Help please!

Cillakin

Hello all! I am having a heck of a time trying to get this software (as recommended by the PICAXE Home Page) to run. This is why I am posting in Active PICAXE Forum because PICAXE Home Page lists this software, not some other 3rd party application.

In any case I downloaded the file Flowol4.09.zip for Linux [UBUNTU 13.04] and followed the onscreen instructions which state...

Installation for Linux
  • Install the libgtkglext1, libgdiplus and libusb-0.1.4 packages.
  • Download the Flowol4.09.zip archive.
  • Unzip the archive with the command:
  • unzip Flowol4.09.zip
  • Navigate to the Flowol4 directory with
  • cd Flowol4
  • Run sudo sh Install.sh to install Flowol4 to the /opt directory.
  • Open the Flowol 4 Application from the Education folder/menu on your desktop.
However I have no 'Education' folder on my Distro and there is also this...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B39ElxhnggM3cXdmUEt4V2NkbzQ/edit?usp=sharing

Note that the Flowol4_Linux.exe is a Windows application, not linux (deb).

When I try opening either as root (via terminal & tried gksudo) nothing happens. I really am at a loss for what to do here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Link to Flowol4 on PICAXE website:
http://www.picaxe.com/Software/Third-Party/Flowol/

Last edited:

AnthonyBowker

Flowol 4 on Linux

Hi,

I will test tomorrow and will post complete details here.

In the mean time, the executable to run is the file simply named Flowol4, so if from Terminal you enter the following:
~/Documents/Flowol4
or double-click on the Flowol4 file (not Flowol4_Linux.exe) from the file browser, then Flowol 4 should open.

We have developed Flowol4 as a multi-platform application, and the core of the software is written on the .NET framework which we run under Mono on Linux. The included Flowol4_Linux.exe file (a .NET assembly) is included if you wish to use your own version of the mono runtime, rather than the version statically linked in the Flowol4 executable.

Again, I'll test tomorrow on Ubuntu 13.04 and will detail why the install didn't work for you.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Anthony Bowker
support@flowol.com

Cillakin

Thank you Anthony! I also tried to install Mono from the Ubuntu Software Center but this did not do anything when I tried to relaunch Flowol4 and Flowol4_Linux. I built the projects and ran the program but errors came up in Mono. I'm not sure I am properly using the Mono software as I have no experience with it. Just thought I would throw that in there so you know that I have at least tried this approach. I look forward to your findings tomorrow!

AnthonyBowker

Are you running 32-bit Ubuntu (x86) or 64-bit Ubuntu (x64)?
You can check by running the following from a terminal window:
uname -a
(if the result ends with x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 then you have the 64-bit version of Linux).

Cillakin

Are you running 32-bit Ubuntu (x86) or 64-bit Ubuntu (x64)?
You can check by running the following from a terminal window:
uname -a
(if the result ends with x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 then you have the 64-bit version of Linux).
I've been anxiously awaiting your instructions today to help resolve this issue I am having! Have you managed to make any headway? If you prefer I can also continue to reach you on Facebook as opposed to the forum, if this results in a faster resolution.

On my end I still have made no progress with getting the application to run/execute.

AnthonyBowker

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. All of our development for the Linux version of Flowol 4 targets the 32-bit versions of Linux (as is listed in the system requirements on the Flowol 4 download page).

I'm investigating whether there's a straightforward way of getting Flowol4 to run on the 64-bit version of Ubuntu.

AnthonyBowker

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a straightforward way of getting the released Flowol 4.09 for Linux to run on 64-bit Linux, it's just not packaged to run in that environment.

We are planning a minor Flowol update later in 2013, which should include packaging for 64-bit versions of Linux. However I don't yet have a release date available.

Sorry that we've disappointed you with this.

Cillakin

Oh it's fine, I actually installed Linux Mint 32-bit and tried Flowol4 and it works perfectly fine. Unfortunately as you also suggested the 64-bit OS just doesn't want to run it. It must be ran in a 32-bit Linux OS as far as I can tell. In either case I have just started to experiment with Flowol4 and look forward to that update!