Humidity Measurement

Kiwi Bruv

I have the rev ed retailed Honeywell sensor and it is giving me up to 122% Humidity readings. Power is 3 x AA cells, actually giving 4.92V.

Here are my calcs, I'm sure they are OK but at full 10 bit ADC (1023) it will allow the sensor to indicate 135% RH. Any one else have this problem?

VOut = Vsupply ((0.0062 x SensorRH) + 0.16 )

Therefore VOut/Vsupply = (0.0062 x SensorRH) + 0.16 = ADC/1023

So, ADC/1023 = (0.0062 x SensorRH) + 0.16, dividing thru by 0.0062

SensorRH = (ADC/1023) x (1/0.0062) - (0.16/0.0062)

Therefore SensorRH = (ADC x 0.1576) - 25.80646

Or for code for the PicAxe :

63xSensorRH = 10 x ADC - 1665

The sensor seems right, at midday it was showing 66% humidity, (local airport 30 Kms away near the sea was showing 73% on the net).

This increased to 98% at dusk, then this morning it was 122%. Weather was foggy, so was definitely 100% RH.

I'm sure the sensor is Ok so I might need to limit the 100% reading in software. Just wondered if there are any similar experiences.

Dowmload cable is not connected, so it's not that skewing the number.

Jeremy Leach

Hi

Haven't got time to chew it over at the mo, but I got slightly different equation in my weather station calcs:
64xSensorRH = 10 x ADC - 1652

See:<A href='http://home.btconnect.com/PicAxe_Projects/SensorCalculations.htm' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Not saying I'm right though.

Kiwi Bruv

Thanks, it's just different rounding to get the integers for the Picaxe. I rounded down, I think you rounded up. Anyway that difference doesn't explain why my sensor doesn't stop at 100%!!!

The sensor seems to be spot on when the air is not at the dew point. This afternoon when I got home it matched the local airport reading exactly - 76.0%.

Does yours indicate &gt; 100%?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The senosr datasheet does state slightly different graphs at different temperatures.

Therefore for a completely accurate system you should adjust the calibration figures according to temperature (and to supply voltage). The numbers you are using give a 'best fit' figure for general use but will never be exactly 100% accurate at varying temperatures.

It could also be that the sensor saturates at 100% humidity.

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/sen008.pdf

Jeremy Leach

I take account of temperature when I download my data to my PC and print out the graphs. Yes, I've often got over 100%, probably not much over 110% though, even taking account of temperature, which is measured by a DS18B20 right next to the humidity sensor.

I just put it down to Humidity being a tricky thing for a sensor to measure accurately - although maybe this is being too lenient ?!

Jeremy Leach

Also, another thought ...not sure if this is correct : Fog is beyond saturation level so wouldn't you expect over 100% ?

Kiwi Bruv

Techncally, saturation is the limit. Below this the water is water vapour, above it at the dew point the excess water condenses out and exists as liquid. So more than 100% humidity is not possible at normal temperatures and pressures.

I think I am seeing the reaction of the sensor to saturation. But the actual humidity (Kg water/Kg air expressed as a %)can't be more than 100%.