hpwm motor driver datasheet

ArnieW

I've been looking at the 14M specs and interested in the hpwm command. There is a reference in the manual to a motor driver datasheet but it doesn't seem to be listed on the website.

Am I looking in the wrong places or is this still being written?

thanks, Arnie

Mycroft2152

The hpwm command is pretty clever.

Unfortunately, you have to give up a couple of inputs to use it.

On the other hand for the price of the 14M ($4US) it will be a great self contained motor driver that ccan be easily added to any project.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Still writing it! If you are technically minded you can also lookup 'enhanced pwm module' in the Microchip PIC16F684 datasheet.

ArnieW

OK, thanks for the update technical. I guess for the time being I'd just like to know if I can use a 14M with hpwm to drive an L293D to then drive a motor?

What I am specifically after is a reversible motor driver with variable speed. I want to build a psuedo servo motor controller - one that will direct a motor to a particular spot, slow down when close, and turn off when in position.

I'm not quite sure if the half bridge configuration will do this.

thanks for your help, Arnie

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I can't answer your questions, but Microchip Application Note AN893 may be of interest to you - <A href='http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&amp;nodeId=1824&amp;appnote=en012134' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

ArnieW

I think I now understand what is going on with full bridge control of a bidirectional motor and the PIC16F684 architecture. I was hoping to use 2 control lines to control the motor, but because pwm is being used, it looks like I will need four: two to provide the logic 1 or 0 and two to provide the control (pwm) signals. If I am reading this right, the only way to use a full bridge with two control lines is if the 'ON' control line also provides the logic 1 the bridge needs, while the 'OFF' control line providing the logic 0 the bridge needs.

I hope that makes sense - can someone who knows more about these things confirm or otherwise my muddled logic?

And a follow up question - what is a half bridge configuration useful for?

thanks, Arnie

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
An alternative is to use external inverters to create the additional two signals for the full bridge driven in half bridge configuration, or use half bridge to control a +V to motor and a -V to motor switch ( common mid-point join ) with the motor then to 0V.

These modes are, somewhat briefly, described in the 16F684 datasheet in section 11.4