How to identify which USB port configured for PICAXE USB cable

twebb

About a year ago I installed the PICAXE USB cable drivers in a Windows 2000 computer. Shortly thereafter, I changed computers and again installed the USB cable drivers without difficulty. The AXE027 PICAXE USB cable documentation recommends to note which USB port is used.

I now want to go back and use the first computer for PICAXE. When the drivers were originally installed and configured, I noted which USB port was used. However, now I can not find the note!!!

So – what is the EASY way to determine which of the three USB ports on my computer the PICAXE USB cable was originally connected when first configured???

Thanks!!

lewisg

In the Programming Editor; View, Options, Serial Port tab, check the Show Port Help Tools box then press the Scan for USB Cable button.

bull10x

I just downloaded a program from the pickaxe website that has an icon on your desktop telling you what port you are plugged into. Vary handy program

Doug

twebb

Based on my understanding of installing the drivers and configuring a particular USB port for the cable during the initial installation, on my computer only a particular USB port has been configured for the picaxe cable.

I take that to mean that the cable must be connected to the same USB port OR I will have to reconfigure for the new/different USB port. Is my understanding correct?

If so, your responses will help me identify which USB port the picaxe cable is connected to, but this may not be the USB port that was originally configured for the cable. Is there a 'right/correct' USB port and how do I know that I have connected to that port???

What am I missing here? Am I making this harder than it is?? Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

From Southeast Queensland, Australia

MPep

Basically, any comm port USB device gets enumerated to a different COMx number (in Windows, at least). Therefore an 'upper' USB port might be COM24, but the one just below that will be anything but COM24.

westaust55

Based on my understanding of installing the drivers and configuring a particular USB port for the cable during the initial installation, on my computer only a particular USB port has been configured for the picaxe cable.

I take that to mean that the cable must be connected to the same USB port OR I will have to reconfigure for the new/different USB port. Is my understanding correct?

If so, your responses will help me identify which USB port the picaxe cable is connected to, but this may not be the USB port that was originally configured for the cable. Is there a 'right/correct' USB port and how do I know that I have connected to that port???
You are correct in that the AXE027 drivers must be installed for each USB comm port into which you wish to use the AXE027 cable.

One way that may identify the port you previously used:
1. Plug the AXE027 cable into a PC USB port - ignore any messages
2. Open the Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager
3. OPen the Ports (Com & Lpt)

If the port is pre configured for the AXE027 cable then it will show up with AXE027 as the device type, otherwise you will (likely) not see the AXE027 in the list.

The above works with WinXP.

nick12ab

There is also a link to Device Manager on the Serial Port page of the options dialog in Programming Editor.