How is data stored in the different forms of PICAXE memory

BCJKiwi

Have run into a curious problem with a strange work-around.

This line of code works and creates a filename in uAlfat storage;
hi2cout ("O 0A>",@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,".CSV",$0D)
(YYMMDDHH.csv)
The uAlfat states that all the data in any commands must be ascii (with the CR/LF sent as $OD) but already found that in some cases this is the Hex value sent as ascii - i.e. hex BF60 had to be sent as Ascii BF60 !!

The data in the scratchpad (@printc) is from a DS1307 Clock and converted to ascii using BCDTOASCII and stored to the scratchpad thus;
hi2cin [RTC_0],6,(b0) ' Year Read from register 6
bcdtoascii b0,b1,b2
@ptr=b1
inc ptr
@ptr=b2
inc ptr

However I wanted to change the last two bytes of the filename from the HH to a sequential number 01 thru 99.
Wrote the code for that and stored it to b4 and b5 (tens and ones) and used the following line;
hi2cout ("O 0A>",@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,b4,b5,".CSV",$0D)

There were no complaints from the uAlfat but no characters in the file name for b4 and b5.

I tried every form of hex,decimal etc conversion including bintoascii but nothing worked including storing actual ascii in b4 and b5 ( i.e. b4 = "1" without success.

So on a long shot I tried;
bintoascii b4,b2,b1,b0
bintoascii b5,b3,b2,b1
ptr=198
@ptr=b0
inc ptr
@ptr=b1
and the original line;
hi2cout ("O 0A>",@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,@ptrinc,".CSV",$0D)
and it works??!!

Now this suggests there is some fundamental difference in the way data is stored/returned from the scratch pad
from
the way is is stored/returned from a variable.
I don't believe it is the use of the variable b4 etc as I have used this form elsewhere when sending commands to the uAlfat

Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

BrendanP

Off topic Kiwi, but how do I use the hserinflag? Im using hsersetup, the manaul mention the flag can't find any reff. to it anywhere else. Any pointers?

BrendanP

Thanks for the prompt reply, I was being slack, after I posted I thought I should try the archive search, it came up with some stuff straight away that will ge tme going.I haven't used it the new forum archive search before, it works well. Thanks again.