HM2007 and PixAce interface for Animatronics

Marcwolf

Hi Folks
I have spoken about this project for a while and have finally completed one part of it.

This is one of the key modules - the voice activation system. To simplify explanations I wll use clock references i.e. 9 = left, 3 = right, 11 = upper left.

Essentially it is an HM2007 kit with a picAxe 20M added to the board. The kit had 2 daughter boards that could be plugged into the mother board for programming. I took these off and merges together into the console (9), and this can be plugged into the motherboard using the RS232 socket (4)

At (5) there is the programming socket for the 20M, and at (6) there is the audio socket for the htroat mic and ear piece (12)

The large chip partially hidden on the board is the MH2007, and the chip at (3) is the 8K static memory to hold the codes. At (11) is the 20M with the memory backup battery below it.

At (12) there is a 3 pin molex that is the power and comm line to the SD21 and its 18X.

Ok - how does it work.

The HM2007 can be programmed to recognised words, and there would be displayed on the 7 Segment LEDs as numbes between 1 and 20 (or 40 depending on settings of the HM2007)

The HM2007 also has 3 error codes. 55,66,77 depending of word too long, not found etc. I am not worried about WHAt error was found but rather than an error occurred.

The HM2007 also deals in BCD which also made it tricky.

When the HM2007 gets a word or an error it raises a RDY line and loads the results into a 74ls373 (hidden under cables on mother board)

I have wired up the 20M so that inputs 0 to 3 handle the 4 bits of the BCD for the first LED, input 4 was attached to the RDY line of the HM2007, and input 5-7 handled the first 3 bits of the second BCD.

With the 20M - and interrupt was set on input 4 to read in line 0-3 and 5-7. These were then converted in decimal.

I reserved command 1 as an ACTION command i.e.
ACTION Happy
ACTION Sad
ACTION Angry

So the I did not inadvertantly trigger a command.

If a ACTION was detected then the 20M flagged that a command had been recieved and signaled a tone to the earpiece. The next word recieved was then send via the 18X comm line after triggering a High for 20ms to force the 18X into an interrupt for recieving SerIn's.

All other words such as 55,66,77 or any word that was recieved withough an ACTION being flagged first were ignored.

Total cost of board and bits - about $170AUD, and this is the most expensive part of the animatronics system.

Hope you found this interesting.

Dave

Attachments

Marcwolf

Hi Andrew
It is hot glue. Easy to use, easy to peel off.
I am planing to encapsulate it in silicone in a couple of months after it has survived more rigious testing

Thanks for replying

Dave