Help using components on Experimenter Board

Jawdy

Hi All,

I've been lurking for some time and just finished soldering my PICAXE Experimenter board, but am stuck at the 2nd hurdle.
Am I being typically thick, or is the only way to use the soldered components on the PCB by putting the PIC in the breadboard? Or is there a way to use the LED's (for example) by keeping the chip in the IC socket?

If it's supposed to work, then I've messed up the soldering and I'll get out my trusty circuit tester!

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Rickharris

Hi All,

I've been lurking for some time and just finished soldering my PICAXE Experimenter board, but am stuck at the 2nd hurdle.
Am I being typically thick, or is the only way to use the soldered components on the PCB by putting the PIC in the breadboard? Or is there a way to use the LED's (for example) by keeping the chip in the IC socket?

If it's supposed to work, then I've messed up the soldering and I'll get out my trusty circuit tester!

Anyway, thanks in advance!

have a look at this thread http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9285

You will see several different approaches to using the various experiments boards - if still puzzled tell us which board you have & what you need to do with it.

BeanieBots

You are not being silly. You've simply missed a key point.
The IC sockets on the Experimenter board (I'm assuming AXE090) are not connected to any of the LEDs etc. on the board.
The sockets and the "components" are connected to the row of SIL sockets which runs along the edge of the breadboard.
If you want to connect an LED to a PICAXE output, you must use a jump wire between the PICAXE output socket and the LED socket.
The breadboard has no connections going to it until you deliberately make one using a jump wire from the perimiter sockets.
They are labled but hard to see. (at least with my poor eyesight).

cpedw

To help me connect each socket with its description, I painted the SIL with white stripes down the side every other pin. Now it looks like a zebra crossing but I usually choose the right socket.
Derek

Jawdy

You are not being silly. You've simply missed a key point.
The IC sockets on the Experimenter board (I'm assuming AXE090) are not connected to any of the LEDs etc. on the board.
The sockets and the "components" are connected to the row of SIL sockets which runs along the edge of the breadboard.
If you want to connect an LED to a PICAXE output, you must use a jump wire between the PICAXE output socket and the LED socket.
The breadboard has no connections going to it until you deliberately make one using a jump wire from the perimiter sockets.
They are labled but hard to see. (at least with my poor eyesight).
Aaaaaaaaaah it all seem so simple! Thanks everyone for your posts!

*wonders off to tinker*

I'll be back... most likely with more questions :)

Jawdy

Thanks Beanie (and everyone for all the different suggestions - i'm reading them all), that worked perfectly... I ran a wire from the output to the L1 socket and the LED started flashing instantly.
Now then, time for something a little more serious :D