Help reverse engineering a VFD

I have a VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display) that I pulled from a car in a salvage yard. This was in a overhead console display. It shows information such as temp, compass heading, fuel economy, distance till empty gas tank, etc.

I thought this would be VERY handy for certain projects, so I grabbed it, it's still soldered to the circuit board. This thing has 36 pins, but more than 40 segments that could light up. Any ideas on how to figure out a pinout for this thing? And possibly what voltage to drive it at? I see a 78L05 voltage regulator on the circuit board, but that may be for the other chips, and not the display.

Any ideas would be appreiated!
Brian

Michael 2727

Those things need a voltage of 90V or there abouts
to light the display.
Many VCR video recorders use these for displays and some ancient calculators.

Here's what I figured out so far. I found another on board voltage regulator, a LM2940S This one is a 12 volt LDO. I followed the circuit traces back to the main connector to the vehicle, so now I know where to apply 12 VDC and ground. I did so, and it lit right up. Displaying 40 degrees F and West on the compass.

I started probing with my voltmeter on each leg of the display, and I found some readings of 12 volt, several at 5.5 volts, and some at approx 2 volts.

One of the functions of the display is "ET" or Elapsed time. I can reset that and it will count upward. I can see as some of the legs of the display toggle as the display counts. Now I just have to figure out which pins do which segments on the display.

I'll advise you all of my progress.

ylp88

oooh... Does the compass work? Have you tried rotating the circuit oard to see if the compass changes? What is it's refernce orientation?

VFDs usually have a small transformer on them to step up the voltages to that required to drive the segments.

A nifty toy you have there!

<b><i>ylp88 </b> </i>

I jumpered from the 5.5 volt to various pins on the display, and I watched as certain segments lit up as I probed. Odd though, some of those pins were showing 12 volts, but when I touched with 5 volts, a segment lit up. I think my next step is to de-solder it from the circuit board, and plug it into a solderless breadboard.

I've checked though, and I don't find any of these higher voltages that I've been warned about. Perhaps the newer VFD's require less voltage???

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Take a look at ....

http://www.noritake-elec.com/vfd_technology.htm

The control signals may be low-voltage DC, but there may be other and AC voltages required. It is unlikley to be a simple case of connecting one pin to another to get a segment to illuminate.

Thank you for that link, it was very informative.

It did state that it's possible that &quot;it only requires 10 to 15 volts DC to illuminate the display and, in some cases, illumination is possible using standard 12 volts C-MOS logic.&quot; If it's a static drive type VFD.

But there's also a chance that it's a Multiplexed. That looks alot more complex to drive.

Not sure...but I did touch the legs of the display with 5 volts, and it did light up 1 segment each time I tried a different leg.

The compass doesn't seem to work. The display shows the compass heading and the temp for 15-20 seconds or so, then the screen goes blank and displays &quot;CCD&quot;

From my experience in the automotive field, that refers to the CCD bus, that chrysler uses for communication between the various modules in a vehicle. The unit displays &quot;west&quot; and &quot;40&quot; which I can assume was the direction the vehicle was pointed, and the temp the last time the unit was powered up in vehicle and connected to the CCD bus.