Help Programming old 14m chip

Hi all i have about 25 old 14m chips which i use for things now and them.
BUT i have tried the old 5.5.5 which wont seem to program then.
The new ver 6 does not seem to even list them.
Any ideas where i can get older software or how to program them.
Thanks Andy Q

premelec

Please be more specific as to your problem - ver 5 editor 14M can be selected from options. Can you read a version # from your chips? In short does the programming cable you have make any connection?

westaust55

Can you let us know:
1. What is the power supply to the PICAXE - type and voltage
2. If using 3 AAA cells are they new and fresh? Have you tried new cells?
3. What type of programming cable are you using? AXE027 or other (specify type)?
4. What board are you using to program the PICAXE chips? AXE091, other Rev Ed board or some other (specify)?

Please try to give more details -not the bare minimum. There more we know the better prospect someone will provide good advice to resolve a problem.
Even photos of the circuit can be helpful.

Being able to read the version but not successfully program is usually due to low supply voltage to the PICAXE chip.

inglewoodpete

Hi all i have about 25 old 14m chips which i use for things now and them....
...The new ver 6 does not seem to even list them....
Being a superceded chip, the 14M is not normally listed in PE6. However, their compiler are available by selecting them in the PICAXE Editor Options window (The little spanner icon under Workplace Explorer). The compiler/loader will behave much the same as the PE5 one, though. From my experience, your problem is almost certainly related to power supply problems, as mentioned by WA55.
PICAXE Types.PNG

Goeytex

Memory verification errors are almost always power supply related. Check/verify all ground and supply connections. Make sure that the download resistors are arranged correctly and not as a voltage divider.

nick12ab

Memory verification errors are almost always power supply related. Check/verify all ground and supply connections. Make sure that the download resistors are arranged correctly and not as a voltage divider.
And, decoupling capacitors!