help -i'm going nuts

wildbill

Sorry this is not direcly picaxe related - Win XP. I have my program editor and my picaxe pdf manuals laid out in a corner of my desktop, for easy access, however, when my duaghter logs on to her desktop and changes her icons, i go back to my desktop and my icons have also moved - why is this ? this happens every time and it's driving me nuts. anyone who helps me and lives near me, i promise to buy you lots of beer, and if you don't live near me then i thank you in advance. wildbill

Michael 2727

Spend the beer money on a cheap computer
and send the kids to the garage.
Rule #1, Never, Never let kids on your computer.

wildbill

thanks for your suggestions, but i really nead to get this fixed, do you know how to do it, or can you put me in touch with anyone that could help ?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
You could check this out ...

http://www.softwarium.com/rdwin.html

I use an older version on Win98, not tested on XP. It's not automatic but works for me. It adds two extra options on a desktop right-click menu; Save Desktop and Restore Desktop. It won't fix the problem but will hopefully give a two-click repair. There may be a means to force it to run when you login.

Sebastiaan

Hi Bill,

I notice you havent told us where you live, but I will not let that deter me.

Are you logged on or off when your daughter gets onto the machine?

One other thought, When you get to the desktop just right click and choose a standard setting for icons, alphabetical or some other method. Then enforce (tee hee) Of course if she is a teenager then all of the above means jack,

Sebastiaan

Michael 2727

I don't have multi users on this machine, I thought there may have been something you could do like admin files etc.
I had a brief look in the HELP files, wich
people so often overlook, its a powerful tool. But nothing caught my eye.
But I would still trawl through there just incase. I have a friend may know, I'll ask him.

TEZARM

Howdy Bill. Yes this is a very annoying feature with XP. Right click on desktop and create a new folder of your own. Than create shortcuts of all the programs you use and paste them into this folder. That should fix your problems. Or just buy your daughter her own computer and tell her to leave yours alone.

wildbill

thanks to all that replied, the link from hippy apears to be working so far. sebastiaan, sounds to me that you want that beer !! come to Bonnie Scotland and the beer is yours.

ylp88

Perhaps this is because the icons belong to an "All Users" account, rather than a personalised account. This is often a feature during installation where the installer asks whether the program shoud be installed for "All Users" or "Just Me".

Check where your icon is:
C:\Documents and Settings\<b>[YOUR USERNAME HERE] </b> \Desktop

and not:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

I noticed that MY Programming Editor installation is on the latter which means that if one person deletes it when using their account, then it will also disappear from mine. This may be the same on yours.

Hope this might help!

<b><i>ylp88 </b> </i>