Hello, I'm back (with a new Picaxe project)!

Innes

I was looking for a 'chit-chat' section in the Picaxe forums, but couldn't find an appropriate section, so I hope it's okay to post here (it's Picaxe project-related).

After a couple of years away from the Picaxe forums (and electronics in general), I have finally got back to it. I have got the mechanics for my current project in place, and I am now working on the software controls and circuit for it...

My project is an electronic lock for my mini workshop / office that I have built in my garage. The lock is completely homemade; it's a linear actuator made from a threaded rod, connected to a motor. I'll post some pics in the user's projects forum, hopefully during this week.

The last time I posted in these forums (Jan 2011), I was a high-school ICT teacher in the UK. However, a lot has happened since then...

August 2011: Moved to Western Australia (WA) with my family
February 2012: Started Freelance work (training end-user in Windows software products)
May 2013: Had a book published
May 2013: Bought a house (still in WA)
April 2014: Start a permanent job (that's just one week away)!

So, I have an excuse for my Picaxe hiatus!

I'm really hoping that my new job still allows me enough time to enjoy my hobby of electronics. I love picaxe, and my daughter (aged 13) has started an electronics class in high-school this year, so I hope to work on some projects with her.

Best regards,
Innes

Last edited by a moderator:

westaust55

Welcome to Western Australia.

In time you may find that there are many PICAXE users in Perth and regional areas. Altronics in Northbridge is a retail outlet selling PICAXE parts and kits.

Unfortunately a new job may, as with a new project, demand a greater proportion of your time and after work and family commitments, time for hobbies may at times be diminished.

If you just want to post about progress on your project(s) as opposed to questions or details on a finished project these days there is also the blog area if you so desire.