Hall sensor with engine, pulse in or count, please help.

davecarter

Goeytex
I hope that you are well. And that you are getting about.
:D
Any way how did the test go?
May be i could have a look at the progress so far.
Dave

Goeytex

Dave,

There are quite a few gotchas to get around. "Servo" conflicts with just about everything needed to transfer
data from one Picaxe to another. And it cannot be run concurrently with pulsin on the same Picaxe as both
use the timer. Background serial receive on a 20X2 seems promising. Another issue with servo is the low resolution
of about 150 steps. If your engine range is 1,000 to 10,000 RPM that's means a sync accuracy of + / - 60 RPM.
I was wanting more than that as the sound of two engines in sync within a few RPMS is pretty awesome.

That leads us to using pulsout to control the servo which presents another set of challenges specific to
timing. With one magnet, at 1000 rpm, we can only read the engine speed once every 60 ms. With both
engines that could be up to 120 ms. This data has to be collected & stored and then sent to and received
by the Picaxe controlling the servo without disturbing the servo signal. Any data processing must be done
during the 20 ms off time between pulsouts or done before sending the data to the Servo Picaxe.

So far I have not been able to get this glitch free so I don't have much to send except possibly my breadboard engine simulator
setup which I haven't yet done a schematic on. This should be very helpful though as it allows testing code without running
real engines. For the simulator you need 3 08m2s, 2 servos , 3 10K pots & a 7.2 volt power source. I'll take the time
to draw that up and post that along with the code and a photo. Later today maybe.

In the mean time I'll be working on ways to get the code glitch free.

EDIT.
Note on Magnets. It may be that adding a second magnet 180 degrees opposed could help. It may also help the engine
imbalance possibly caused by using only one magnet.

Last edited: