good books to learn electronics

Rbeckett

Alll about Circuits Ebook, or the U.S. Naval school NEETS series. Both excellent sources of basic electronic learning info. You Tube also has a professor from the Madras Shool in India who goes by the name NPTELRD, (search the term basic electronics) who has over 100 one hour lectures with hands on breadboard experiments to insure learning goal has been achieved. Each lecture addresses a specific concept such as Ohms Law, resistors, capacitors or Kirchoff Voltage Law and has a breadboard practical demonstration included. Also an outstanding source of educational material for free.
Bob

MartinM57

You Tube also has a professor from the Madras Shool in India who goes by the name NPTELRD, (search the term basic electronics) who has over 100 one hour lectures with hands on breadboard experiments to insure learning goal has been achieved.
Ooh I got all excited and found "Basic Electronics: Using IC Regulator" by what looks like the right guy.

6mins 58secs to talk about voltage regulators - even Dippy would run out of things to say after 4 minutes - a great opportunity I thought.

What a disaster - watch the first minute and scroll though the rest. No substance, no caps, interesting technique of swapping chips with the power still on. Imagine what it could have been :(

Still, maybe it was aimed at the kids in the background - they sound about 5...

Dippy

4 Minutes!?!?

"Hello, read the damned Data Sheet, stuff it into breadboard, switch the thing on. Did it explode? No? OK, job done. Oh, it did explode? Well, don't forget, my name's Manie... I'm off! Put the Invoice in the post! Bye!".

westaust55

Getting back to the original topic . . . .

Talking Eletronics (www.TalkingElectronics.com) is/was :confused: a good source of electronics information for newcomers to the subject.

I say is/was because the website has been "off the air" each time I have checked today.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
One can only judge fairly knowing what the target audience is and what a video / tutorial / book is intended to convey. "Here's a magical device, put any voltage in and it puts out a constant voltage" is the basic introduction for someone who's never heard of a regulator. Then there's an almost infinite level of depth one can go to after that. Where to draw the line, too little, too much, is always hard to say.

I do think the video takes its time covering what it does and misses the mark for someone who was going to use a regulator in a circuit, but at least it's a start.

Perhaps the best thing about our current age is that almost everyone has access to publishing and an audience ( videos, web pages, PDF, e-books, even print ) and there are few obstacles against anyone who wants to offer something they consider better or more suitable.