Getting PCB's made at a factory...

Grogster

Hello everyone. :)

While this is not specifically a PICAXE question, all my PCB's use PICAXES!!! :D

Currently, I get my boards via Futurlec, but I am having communication issues with them, which is causing production delays.

Can I ask the other members here who get boards professionally made at a factory, what are the names of the companies and any links to websites would also be great.

Thanks. :)

darb1972

Hi Grogster. I only just started using Futurelec. All good so far. Responses to emails within 24 hours. What email address are you using?

Anyway, I would still be interested in hearing who others use for PCBs. I used to "baked my own", but with the cost of PCB blanks, photo resist material (depends on your method) and etching chemicals, it's hardly worth the effort. That's not taking into account the difficulty of etching fine detail, the time taken to complete the process, and, the odd "dud" PCB where the process simply fails to produce a decent product.

inglewoodpete

I have used ourpcb.com in the past. You guessed it, they're in China. They are quick and communicate well. On-line rough quote but you need to email your gerbers for a formal quote. Top quality.

Grogster

@ darb1972 - Futrelec are fine until there is a problem with the file you send, then you get the Chineese-English type responses which are hard to understand and usually don't really help much - a language barrier more then anything else - the PCB's are fine when I have ordered them, but at the moment, I am having issues as they say they need a file that my PCB program does not output, despite them having made the exact same board before in the past...

@ SAborn - thanks for the link - I will check them out. :)

MartinM57

http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping.html
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/small-batches-pcb.html

Cheap
Fantastic production quality - I can't see how they could be better.
Reasonable communications, but you don't normally need any. They keep you informed (received, sent to factory, dispatched)
Gerbers only - using their filename extensions (.gts, ,gtb etc)
Need to "Flip Text Automatically" on Diptrace so that bottom silk looks flipped on screen - see below
Some panelising - up to 5(?) boards per panel (no cutout assistance, e.g. rows of holes or long slots, allowed)
Cheap - they don't charge for internal cutouts or non-rectangular boards
Different colour solder masks (cost a bit extra)
Standard delivery is a long time to UK (17-65 days - yes, one order took 65 days); DHL delivery is ~9 days to my door after sending the Gerbers (other locations may vary). DHL intercept the package for VAT and 5GBP collection fee.
Cheap

Image3.jpg

(it's a SMD DS1307 on the bottom layer, the trace with a right angle is Ground and there is a copper pour (not shown) that make the trace disappear into the pour)

Last edited:

darb1972

Hi Grogster

I have only just started dealing with them. We shall have to see how they perform for my first batch of boards. I dealt with "Alan", the Sales Manager. Email is pcb@futurlec.com

I will let you know what happens.

As for the other PCB manufacturers, thanks for the tips everyone. I will have to look into these options.

rq3

Hello everyone. :)

While this is not specifically a PICAXE question, all my PCB's use PICAXES!!! :D

Currently, I get my boards via Futurlec, but I am having communication issues with them, which is causing production delays.

Can I ask the other members here who get boards professionally made at a factory, what are the names of the companies and any links to websites would also be great.

Thanks. :)
Here in the U.S., I have used both ExpressPCB (http://expresspcb.com/), and Pad2Pad (http://pad2pad.com/). Both offer free layout and schematic software, and both offer relatively inexpensive board fab services. My experience is that they both deliver in about a week. Board quality for both is very good. The only drawback with ExpressPCB is that they use a proprietary file format, and you have to pay a surcharge to get a copy of your gerber files.

Grogster

@ darb1972 - Quality of boards from Futurelec is fine - no complaints there, but it has been my experience that they are problematic to deal with IF there is any kind of problem with your files. In my case, the latest prototype board, they have made one already, now this time around(the revised prototype), it is EXACTLY the same size board and still single-sided, but they can't use the exact same Gerber files I sent, and now want outline files which is odd, considdering that the last time, I sent in the Gerbers and drilling data, and away they went.

It's causing long delays, as it takes them about 4 days to reply to my responses, and when they do, it is Chinese-English, which is difficult to understand, so I am also guessing that they are having trouble understanding my English replies also...

I thought there might be alternatives, but I am surprised there are so many, so I have plenty of places now to research.
I have contacted PCB Zone as they are here in NZ, and have a reply from them already, so that is promising. :)

@ Hemi345 - PURPLE boards!!! Cool. :)

graynomad

I use just started using iTead after PCBcart. Both good but PCBcart can do smaller vias.

I used to use Futerlec but their minimum geometries are way too large for my boards.

BTW iTead will take CAD files as well as gerbers. At least they take Altium, don't know about other formats.