Ft232rl - usb

Buzzer

Hi,

I'm trying to get data sent from a game controller (dual shock 4) to the PICAXE. It outputs from micro usb. In order to get the serial comms that I need, I have a FT232RL module (not the DIL IC).
Nothing's really happening though.
I searched the forums, but people were mainly concerned about using it as a download circuit- I already have the AXE027, but just want the button data from the controller.

Has anyone had experience in this?

srnet

As far as I am aware the FT232RL is a slave USB device that plugs in to a master device the PC. The PC as master has the device driver which makes it all work.

The game controller is also a slave device so I dont see how you can connect two slave devices together ?

okasional

I have used FTDI chips extensively and would be glad to help if you could explain a little more about your problem. Your FT232RL module is a USB-to-TTL RS232 converter that is usually used with the USB connector plugged into a PC and the RX, TX, and other UART lines connected to a device that is capable of RS232 type serial communications at TTL voltage levels.
It outputs from micro usb.
What is "It", the game controller? Are you trying to take USB output from that and communicate it to a PICAXE?

MPep

What you're trying to do is not going to work.
What you'll need to do is the remove the Dual Shock 4's circuit board and use a PICAXE to read the potentiometers and buttons and serially send the data through.

2 slave USB devices cannot talk to each other!!!!!!

Buzzer

What you're trying to do is not going to work.

2 slave USB devices cannot talk to each other!!!!!!
Hmmm, thought so.
What about Bluetooth, there is a Dualshock 4 ibrary that is already up. If Bluetooth will work, do you have any specific Bluetooth modules that will work well (reliably) with PIACXE? How easy is pairing?