FRM010 availability in US

drjeseuss

Just wondering if anyone knows of a reputable source of the FRM010 in the US. I've checked the auth. distributors but no luck. Even braved ebay just to see, but again no luck. Is this chip even being offered anymore? How about a decent and cost effective stand-in? I've considered using hippy's guide and a 20x2 to just make a dedicated controller, but I'm not a fan of reinvention unless needed. Suggestions?

drjeseuss

This option does look interesting, though I'd like to find just the chip (though the PCB/chip combo is still inexpensive). I'll check the P Anderson site for the chip. The description at wulfden's states up to a 2x8. Can anyone confirm this limitation. I have a lot of 2x40's I plan to use. The wiring and control is basically the same so I suspect they will work.

goom

LCD118 PCB Layout

I have a PCB layout for the LCD118 driver if anyone is interested. I did it in Visio, but have attached it in .pdf format. I have only used it with a 2 x 20 display.

Attachments

premelec

From my notes from phanderson.com : "appropriate configurations include: 2x16, 2x20, 2x24, 2x40, 4x16 and 4x20." So 2x40 should work - "?G240" initially sent to chip. I use 2x24 units sucessfully here...

pha555

The LCD #118 was a spin off from my #117 design. It used a 4.0 MHz resonator as I was concerned with the accuracy of the internal RC when working with the PICAXE which also used the internal RC.

After a number of years I concluded this was not necessary and the #118 was discontinued. Brian in Vermont may well have some.

The LCD #117 is now offered for a number of baud rates, including 2400.

See http://www.phanderson.com/lcd106/lcd107.html

Peter Anderson