Fried 08M2 Chip - Uses?

DDJ2011

Hi,

If you follow this thread I have concluded that I fried my first 08M2 chip.

Should I chuck the old chip, or is there something I can use it for? Perhaps I could program it as a normal PIC chip, rather than a picaxe.

Any advice gratefull received.

DDJ

dmaxben

Personally, Ive only fried 2 or 3 of them...even trying some crazy stuff, they are quite robust in my opinion. Although if/when I do fry them, considering they only cost only slightly more than pocket change (2$), I just throw them out and grab another new one from the pile. No big loss...

Ben

flynnski

When I started, I bought three of each chip I wanted... one to destroy, one to replace the first, and one for the (hopefully) finished product. I haven't needed the back-up ( yet ) but it's only a matter of time. I didn't want to wait a week to test my theory that any problem I was having might be a dead chip.

nick12ab

I've damaged a few PICAXEs - in which case I write what's not working properly on a label and stick it on the bottom of the PICAXE - but when they fail I try to come up with creative ways to dispose of them from just breaking them apart with pliers to see the chip inside to attempting to blow them up with a 12V transformer (which, by the way, didn't blow up the PICAXE, just melted a breadboard and made the thermal fuse in the transformer blow).

fernando_g

I would "Widlarize" it. This term is coined after legendary IC designer Bob Widlar from National Semi.

A description by Bob Pease (another legendary designer also from National Semi) best describes the process:

"But there were times when Bob would discover he had wasted a day or two, just because one bad part had screwed up his circuit. He would bring this bad part -- a capacitor, a pot, a transistor, an IC, or whatever -- over to the vise and lay it on the anvil part. Then he would calmly, methodically beat it with a hammer until the smallest remaining part was indistinguishable from the dust on the floor. Then he would go back to work and get the right answer. He explained that it makes you feel much better if you do this, and, you know that bad part will never come around again and goof you up. He was right."

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You could try it in a PIC programmer to see if it erases.
But if it is fried, and not known how it is fried, no one can say whether it may actually damage that programmer or not.

The risk free course is to simply bin it. For added satisfaction, and to avoid someone coming across it and mistakenly thinking they've hit a mother lode of joy, twist its legs off or take the hammer to it ( wearing safety glasses etc ).

John West

Or leave it "legs up" on the floor in front of a door to catch unsuspecting bare-foot burglars.

I know from experience how effective they are on bare feet, even after the magic smoke has escaped.