Free Terminal Program

I have my PICAXE 08M hooked up to send and receive data to my PC via a serial connection. I can use the terminal program that is built into the Programming Editor, but it requires me to enter the command into the Output Buffer section, then press the "Send" key...

Is there a way to get it to automatically send what is entered? I assume not, so is there a free terminal program that I can use that will support this feature? I am looking for the ability to instantly send what I type to the PICAXE.

moxhamj

Hyperterminal works fine and it comes for free with windows. You might need to install it off the disk if it isn't in the Programs/Accessories menu. I've also used hyperterminal for debugging the serial port by doing a loopback test connecting pin 2 and 3 together.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Also TERMINAL.EXE, which used to be provided with windows 3.11/95 AFAIK. Much easier to use than HyperTerminal. No idea about the licensing conditions of use, but I can guarantee if you search for it on Google you will quickly find a copy.

manuka

Back in 2003, when DOS/W95 laptops were free to a good home, I was a great fan of &quot;DOS but Windows friendly&quot; Bananacom (~170k) <A href='http://www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/bcom30.zip' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a> Give it a whirl perhaps, &amp; also consider old DOS organisers such as Casio PVs &amp; Sharp OZ/ZQ Wizards. The latter are real collectors items however.

Mycroft2152

Along with the Sharp and Casio organizers, consider an old PDA -- Palm or Visor. The Handspring Visor is pretty handy since is has logic level output and can be directly connected to a PICAXE.