Free DIPTRACE Upgrade!

cactusface

FREE Diptrace upgrade still works..

Hi,
Spotted this thread yesterday, what I did'ent spot was the fact that it's about two and a half years old. So I just ask those nice folk at Diptrace for the upgrade! and go it. Not sure where I'll use 500 pins, but Ive been a bit close to 300.
When I first started with Diptrace I had lots of problems with Libraries, saving them, over writing them, etc, but since I got that sorted it all seems OK.

So I will upload my own LIBs for anyone who cares to try them, in fact I'd like you too, then tell my what I've got wrong, what you don't like, etc.
Don't forget to change the ext to eli for the comps and lib for the patterns.

Regards
Mel.
View attachment My_Comps050911.DSN View attachment My-Patts050911.DSN

John West

You do " "for profit" work " using Picaxe?

Now I'm green. (With envy)
Not yet. I occasionally do bd layouts for various non-PICAXE "for profit" projects that come along, and don't want to get stuck having become proficient with a freebie CAD package that I can't use on a paying project. That's what the CAD program folks want you to do, so you have no choice then but to buy their package. It's a smart business move, but I'm not one to bite on that hook.

I'm pretty good at a variety of electronics work, but I'm still learning about PICAXE code, so I haven't tried to incorporate the chips into any of my paying work so far, but that's about to change, as in order to improve my PICAXE proficiency I'm doing a parallel PICAXE design on the side to a straight PIC design being done by another programmer. Thus the reason I asked on another thread about how to use a PICAXE to analyze an arbitrary waveform. I'm still learning. But ultimately, I hope to be able to confidently offer my services doing complete PICAXE based prototypes and specialty products, not just a bit of bd layout or prototype assembly and testing as I'm doing now. We'll see how it goes.

I see a real value in being able to create products that do exactly what I, or customers, want done. Far too many purchases are of "good enough" products that do most of what a purchaser wants, but never do exactly or all of what they want. Folks are paying good money. Why can't that buy what they want? With a PICAXE, one can cheaply and quickly design a product that exactly meets someone's needs and desires.

Whether it's just for me or for someone else, that seems like a darn good reason to get proficient with the PICAXE, and this forum helps me feel confident that I have the support I'll need to learn what I need to learn in order to do it. It seems to me that this exceptional forum is Rev. Ed's most valuable asset.

nick12ab

don't want to get stuck having become proficient with a freebie CAD package that I can't use on a paying project. That's what the CAD program folks want you to do, so you have no choice then but to buy their package.
How would they know that you're using their free package for your commercial layouts?

John West

I do my best to play by the rules, nick. The folks who write programs work hard and smart at it. They deserve the income from their effort, so I play by their rules.

How can one ever tell if they've won at the game of life if they cheat at it?

tracecom

The folks who write programs work hard and smart at it. They deserve the income from their effort, so I play by their rules.
I agree. That's the reason I bought DipTrace Starter for $75. So far, I haven't outgrown the 300 pin limit, but if I do, there is a very reasonable upgrade path/price structure.

tracecom

So I will upload my own LIBs for anyone who cares to try them, in fact I'd like you too, then tell my what I've got wrong, what you don't like, etc.
[/ATTACH]
I have had a quick look and will definitely use some of your patterns although truth be told, I'll probably "tweak" them a bit to my preferences.

Thanks much.

westaust55

I will upload my own LIBs for anyone who cares to try them, in fact I'd like you too, then tell my what I've got wrong, what you don't like, etc.
Don't forget to change the ext to eli for the comps and lib for the patterns.

Mel.

Mel,
as a suggestion, it may be worth posting your DIPTRACE library files in this thread:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?10576-DIPTRACE-PCB-Cad
to try and keep all the files together.
I could then edit in a reference to your post in that thread at post 3 to reference the post with your new library files.

John West

An excellent suggestion, Westy. My first thought upon downloading the program was, "Now where do I find all the additional component libraries?"

When I tried working with Eagle, the available libraries were strewn all over the web. I spent an entire day digging for them, and I'm sure I never found them all. Not to mention that a few of them were half done useless junk compared to the included library components.

Having as many well done DIPTRACE libraries as possible in one thread would be very convenient, especially ones that include the components we typically use.

booski

Not wanting to revive an old thread, but also not wanting to start another, just wanted to share something.

Emailed diptrace Sunday night asking if they had any offers on and that I was from the picaxe forum.

They sent me a registration code a few hours later for a free upgrade so its still going it would seem!

booski

I picked them up too :D but there wasn't a download socket layout for the ones from RevEd but I've made my own up anyway.

booski

Don't think I picked that one up. I just see 18M2 and got it. Saves me making one like I did for 14M2.
I've used my socket pattern before though, works nicely including the little locating pins on the bottom.