Forum Thread display mode 'Newest First' But at the bottom of the page?

elanman99

I have the forum set so I see the latest addition to any thread at the front/head/top of the list. I don't know whether I have inadvertently changed something but I have to read the posts on each page from the bottom of the page upwards which seems a unusual.

I assumed the latest page would display that page's oldest post at the top, so it could be read with the subsequent posts in the conventional manner. The forum FAQs mentions being able to change the ordering but I do not seem to be able to find the relevant bit in 'General Settings'

Is this how its meant to work?

Ian

nick12ab

I have the forum set so I see the latest addition to any thread at the front/head/top of the list. I don't know whether I have inadvertently changed something but I have to read the posts on each page from the bottom of the page upwards which seems a unusual.
Where did you "have the forum set"? If you used this setting in the User CP then yes, it would make sense that the posts are displayed in reverse order if you choose 'Newest first' because the newer post is still newer even if it's been read.

thread view.PNG

elanman99

yes, it would make sense that the posts are displayed in reverse order if you choose 'Newest first' because the newer post is still newer even if it's been read.

View attachment 15242
If a post is the newest post, its the newest post whether it been read or not.

I was referring to the user control panel, general settings. There are a whole lots of adjustments and tweaks which is great, but my query was about having to read a page of text from the bottom up. I know the latest post is at the top of the page which is good if it is the only one you need to read, but if you have to catch up and read a few posts then I find it confusing.

Ian

nick12ab

I was referring to the user control panel, general settings. There are a whole lots of adjustments and tweaks which is great, but my query was about having to read a page of text from the bottom up. I know the latest post is at the top of the page which is good if it is the only one you need to read, but if you have to catch up and read a few posts then I find it confusing.
Change the thread display mode to Linear - Oldest First.

All the threads that have unread posts appear in bold in the forum view and there is a little button to the left of each thread with a new post that takes you directly to the first unread post in the thread.

elanman99

I have changed to 'oldest first' so reading a thread is as one would expect, i.e reads down the page with post in chronological order.

What I assume is not right though is that even if I have read a whole thread over several pages, next time I view it goes back to the first post.

Is there some setting or cookie that remembers what has been viewed?

Ian

nick12ab

What I assume is not right though is that even if I have read a whole thread over several pages, next time I view it goes back to the first post.
If you want to go to the last post then you need to click the button in the Last Post By column to go there.

elanman99

If you want to go to the last post then you need to click the button in the Last Post By column to go there.

Nick

What is the 'Last Post By' column?

I am sure that I never previously had to navigate through all posts until I got to the ones I had not read. Every time I visit the forum now it does not seem to remember what I have read so it takes me back to the first post every time.

Ian

nick12ab

I am sure that I never previously had to navigate through all posts until I got to the ones I had not read. Every time I visit the forum now it does not seem to remember what I have read so it takes me back to the first post every time.
It should do. When you log in to the forum, the posts that are displayed as unread are the ones that have been posted since you last logged out. Session cookies are used to store which of these posts you have read until you log out.

If you use the 'Remember me' option, you get signed in automatically but if you close the browser, you don't get signed out automatically - it takes half an hour of inactivity for the forum software to sign you out. If you are using that option and you re-open the browser and come back to the PICAXE Forum within half an hour, all the posts you read before closing the browser will be marked as unread again. For this reason, I don't use that option - instead I use the browser feature that remembers passwords and sign in by manually clicking the button.

What is the 'Last Post By' column?
The column that says 'Last post by':

Attachments