Forum support for .png format image attachments?

SgtWookie

Didn't know where to post this, as I don't see a "forum feedback" type area around.

Noticed earlier that .png (portable network graphics) type image attachments aren't currently supported.

This is a shame, because .png files are very well suited for line-drawing type images, such as schematics. They are very compact, are not "lossy" like .jpg, and require no additional software to view.

Anyway, please consider adding support for this file format.

boriz

Good call. But I always use an external host anyway. Means you can embed the image and use any (browser supported) format you like.

boriz

P.P.S.

It’s a stereo picture I took many moons ago of my (at the time, quite novel) LED torch. You look at it cross-eyed, about 2 feet from the monitor. When the two white dots line up and become one, that’s the correct viewing angle, and you should see the 3D image in the middle.

SgtWookie

Well, there are reasons for allowing hosting on the board.

That way, the thread isn't dependent on an external server for hosting images. I've seen many threads on various boards where the hosted images are long since gone; really too bad, as the thread was meaningless without the attached images.

Places like Photobucket will drop your images in a big hurry, particularly if you haven't logged in for a month, or your bandwidth usage is too high.

If the image storage gets to be a problem, older threads could always be deleted to free up space. But if an external image goes away, a thread is basically just wasted space.

westaust55

Noticed earlier that .png (portable network graphics) type image attachments aren't currently supported.

Anyway, please consider adding support for this file format.
While the vbulletin program which Rev Ed use to operate this forum does accept .png format files, (http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/attachments)
Rev Ed has the option turned off.

An alternate option that I use is to print schematics into a .pdf and post those.

pdfcreator from Sourcefrorge is free and provides a very compact file size compared to may pdf creators.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Dippy

I'm quite happy with jpg thanks. But I see the point re: images being deleted by external host.
I sometimes use www.tinypic.com as they don't (currently) thrust popup and similar carp at people's PCs. - unlike others I could mention and that get used on this Forum.

Boriz, I went cross-eyed and that image worked really well

boriz

Yep. Crappy old webcam. Simply established an arbitrary focal point, say the tip of the green pen in the background, then took a pic, then moved the camera sideways about 3 inches, aligned the frame on the same focal point, took another pic, use paint Shop to ‘mount’ them side by side. Just don’t mix up left and right. Dead simple really.

The focal point does not need to be in the centre, but it does need to be in the same X/Y position on each frame. Everything else can move due to parallax. When moving the camera, you’re actually sort of rotating it about this point, keeping a fixed distance.

Took dozens of 3D pics using this technique. Some were quite spectacular (by my standards). Amazing given the crappy camera and the fact that it was all done by hand/eye alone. Each was reproduced both as a stereograph (like the one above) and as an anaglyph (red-cyan glasses).

I much prefer the stereographs, but not everyone can see them, much like those ‘magic eye’ pictures that used to be all the rage. I figure less than half of people can see them. (Sorry Mr wook)

Back on topic...
I usually host my images on my own webspace, provided as part of my ISP package. Some have been up for years. No plans to delete any or change ISP.