For thos interested - follow up vid to radio comms

i posted a clip about the radio comms i had working, now i have posted a video of my final year project to date.

the project is to build a data glove which transmitts to a robotic hand, which is controlled by servos. the robot hand mimiks that of the humans.

so far i have the picaxe tx and debug module, and the home made glove, the reciever, and the sd21 servo controller controlling 0 servos (EDIT - I MEAN TEN SERVOS' LOL)

here is the link.

please comment (i have no comments really as of yet)

<A href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAQgCiItaCo' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

thanks for looking. nat

ps, have a look at my other vids orf robots i programmed
pps if others have interesting picaxe projects maybe they could film and post them up for all to see? i can only find about 5 now that have picaxe in the search

Edited by - roboteernat on 16/01/2007 23:06:36

Edited by - roboteernat on 16/01/2007 23:07:37

Edited by - roboteernat on 21/01/2007 23:26:36

I went to that Uni! Was that for a RAS project? When I was there we didnt have PICAXE and had to make do with TTL gates instead.

Hi c6jones720
Im actually doing the new BSc Robotics course which started 3 years ago. i transfered from Portsmouth Uni after doing a yr and half there, into the second year of the robotics course. Now into the 3rd year and final (the first 3rd year ever there - so we are guinea pigs!) and because it is new there is just me and a fellow greek guy on the course.
The other vision robot shown on youtube by me was completed as part of it - by Phil Culverhouse.

For the picaxe, I have been using Picaxe since college (i introduced it there too) and i am not using it with the university, tis my own doing - controlling 10 servos (initial thoughts) using an 8051 is difficult, so much easier to use picaxe.
I do believe the uni does use them in the first year, but i not seen, heard or used them through the uni. tis my own choice :)

demonicpicaxeguy

As far as sensing goes, there are several options i came accross - either a mass of variable pots on each joint (seriously, have a look on google images for 'data glove' and u see some odd bizzare spider looking things!) or something i came accross by accident about a year an half ago. Flex sensor (bend sensor) the greater the bit of painted plastic is bent, the greater the resistance. they start off at 10k and increase to 40k+ at 90 degrees. The sensors are painted with a resistive paint, with greater resistive paint splats on them, making the bending = greater resistance...
There are several bad things but also good things with them...

BAD They are about 10cm long :(
GOOD they can be cut in half to provide 2 5cm lengths or of how many - bearing in mind they need to bend!

BAD WEhen cut, it is very difficult to attach pins to the cut edge, as the paint vanishes at any sight of a soldering iron
GOOD using the molex style pins for the connectors - the bits of metal you put the wire into then put into the housing, you can bend them and use these to pinch onto the paint surface, this provides a good and positive connection - tho maybe a solid fixing is needed to stop them wearing away as they are used.

- possibly adding a small amount of silver conductive glue helps - i tried it. &#163;7.66 from maplins for a tiny ammount - it is made of silver tho!

(i can supply pics of what i mean, just let me know)

BAD - the edges are rough
GOOD, a simple filing with you partners/friends nail file sorts that out!

GOOD, you can plug them straight into the picake ADC ports - as directed on the handbook (there are also circuit examples on the net - again google Flex Sensor circuit or something)
i can supply pics of mine as i have also used a 10k pot to enable the cut sensors to be set to a resistance for the glove.

BAD and possibly the most expensive!
They (well i cannot find) are only available from 3 places at the moment.
BADDER STILL
There available from America (well for me thats bad being in the uk!)

They are available from:
IMAGESCO (CHEAPEST! $10 each (pandp is also cheaper)
JAMECO $12.95 (expensive p&amp;p)
?????? and someone else also at $10+? but p&amp;p makes it more costly - and it seems like they buy them from imagesco in the first place!

i got 10 of them and cost me $100 for sensors plus $25 p&amp;p so $125 = &#163;88 -just the sensors blew my budget of &#163;55 for my project.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN GETTING SOME, I MAY WISH TO TAKE A FEW ON MYSELF! SO PLEASE LET ME KNOW :)

I WILL BE POSTING A BETTER VIDEO OF THE PROJECT ON YOUTUBE LATER ON IN THE WEEK, SO KEEP LOOKING - and please comment! :D

If anyone wants a few pics, i can send them to you via email, just let me know. if any people are in plymouth and wish to see the final robotic hand in person, the university is holding an open day for us all to demo our projects to the public. just let me know and i will tell of dates.

hope this helps (sorry for making it a long post!) - ooh juty made it longer... sorry... ooh and sorry for that...

Edited by - roboteernat on 21/01/2007 23:25:19

demonicpicaxeguy

you will be after fsr's then - force sensitive resistors, increase resistance as they are pressed - i was too looking into thse to provide feedback from the finger tips...
hang on...

fsr's increase oin resistange depending on how much is pressed
TECSCAN sell FlexiForce something i was looking at. if ur in the uk and are thinking of getting some, i may ask to add to the order for some myslef. again therein the US
http://www.tekscan.com/flexiforce/OEM.html

TROSSEN ROBOTICS sell them too - $6 each so very good
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2670-Force-Sensors-Pressure-Touch-Sensors.aspx - US
but same things

also this is a bit of blurb about them
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Courses/252/sensors/node8.html

HOWEVER!!!

you can purchase somethings called QTC pills from maplins, which are small 4mm by 4mm pads which you place inbetween 2 conductive surfaces then attach wires to these surfaces, and you have youreself a fsr. they a=re called QTC - Quantative tile compund or something, but they will work fine as a pressure sensor type thing.

let me know howit goes. what are they for, i may have some knowledge which can help possibly?

c6jones720

will do, got 100% for demo for the santalbot and featured on the website, also he wants our design to program future robots for other years to work with. overall got 86% for the whole section of that module so yay

Dippy

Tunnelling.

Say, did you know that the QTC people also do a fabric/textile version, so you could make a jumper/pullover/coat with a keypad on it!
I guess you could shoot each other with ping-pong balls and get a score - say, I think I'll patent that one! (Already done? Ah well, wgaf).

Dippy

Peratech
<A href='http://www.peratech.co.uk/' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

I daresay you'd have to order 10 miles of it.
Maybe ask nicely and give you a sample?

Rickharris

<A href='http://www.tep.org.uk/Frames/_f_trweb.html' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>also do the QTC materials in small quantities and at low cost.

flyingnunrt

How about some info on the golf ball following robot, please.
That is just so good.
I assume it is picaxed.
Were you involed with the autonomous following transport robot as well?
I would like to be able to build something like that.