Folder access

Technoman

Hello,

Logicator is installed on some (30) of our school computers.
We bought the school license, but did not yet have entered the license number on each pc ; we are reconstructing, these last weeks, a new HDD image for a later broadcast on every PCs.

At the beginning, we got from time to time an error message saying that the software was not able to write a log file into C:\windows\temp while attempting to transfer the code into the Picaxe chip.
We could solve the problem in manually resetting the properties of this folder to write enable. Then the error occurred more frequently and the manual resetting became inefficient ; the folder is instantly restored to write protected mode.

Is it coming of our computer network as we do have experienced some other problems with the access to some remote resources ? Is it coming from Logicator ?
I ask the guys in charge of the maintenance, but they are pretty busy with the other 450 computers...

Technoman

nick12ab

It could be caused by the software designed to restrict students' use of the computers so that they can't modify the C drive. You could see if you can add TEMP as an exception for write access.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
All Windows programs, including Word and the such like, need access to this temporary folder, normally defined by %temp%
So it is extremely unusual for this folder to be write protected, and that is a Windows network configuration mistake.

Click Start>Run, type
cmd
and then click ok
Then type in
cd %temp%

which folder does that take you to, is it C:\windows\temp?

Technoman

C drive is not usually accessible to the students, but not now as we had some problems with an other piece of software.

Technical, I will try the test you described on next Tuesday as I am not at work.

Technoman

Technoman

The answer is alike C:\documents\local...\temp, not C:\windows\temp
I met a guy of the technical team, and we tried to point out the cause of the problem.
Unfortunately, we were not able to get the same error during several downloads in various situations. Still, some of my students encountered the problem this morning.
He left me, saying that it was not clear but he will check out some scripts.

Technoman

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Check that someone is not forcing a redirect of the temporary folder in the file 'pic-l.ini' in the installation folder.
Logiocator will simply try to use %temp%, and ss shouldn't be using that folder at all...