flsh

Iponder

Hello from a newbie, please be kind!
I have found mention of flsh, but there seems to be no reference to it in any section of the PICAXE notes, except for examples... jump to flsh: etc
Help!
What is it?
Thanks

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

I expect "flsh" is just a named label of a piece of code to jump to, probably shorthand for "flash", a piece of code which flashes a LED or similar.

That's just a best guess, it could be shorthand for "Force Left-Side High" or any number of things which make sense in context or to the original programmer - One of the reasons it's always a good idea to use meaningful label names in source code.

boriz

“jump to flsh”

This is not a valid Picaxe Basic statement.

“I have found mention of flsh”

Where?

Rickharris

So often I tell students "use logical labels that are relevent to that part of the programme", BUT because they can they delight in using fred, janet, rover, flsh because they are the first words they think of.

It's the same with cutting anything out of a sheet of material - They ALWAYS cut it out of the middle - WHY?

Because they can!

manuka

RH: Your students must lead a sheltered life if the likes of "fred, janet, rover" feature as words that first spring to mind! The bromide levels in your region's school lunches could be a tad high, as otherwise one would expect their mindsets to reflect their seething hormones & musical tastes. Maybe it's seasonal- just wait until spring!

Last edited:

BeanieBots

It's the same with cutting anything out of a sheet of material - They ALWAYS cut it out of the middle - WHY?
It's more likely because they don't pay for it!

I thought I was good at getting the most out a piece of sheet metal until I visited a company which made speakers for telephones. The press which punched out the large round discs also punched out washers and spacers from the gaps between. Barely a square mm left unused.

Stan, you need to use more bromide.

Last edited:

westaust55

as for where:
(a reference would have been good, but others not willing to spend 30 secs to look either)

try the PICAXE Manual 2 pages 44, 49, 77, 78, 80, 81, 132 and 150.

Each example programinvolved has a main program part with the line:

gosub flsh ‘ call sub-procedure

then further down the label

flsh:

It is just a name used as a reference for the GOSUB command
flsh: was used because the subroutine is flashing an output on and off once per call.

its an abbreviation for flash and in fact, for easier reading, you could use a label like:

Flash_OP, ; OP for output
or
FLash_LED

in every case where flsh exists.

Last edited: