Floating pins

Gramps

We are working on a project using a 28 X 2 micro, but presently only utilizing four of the pins.
What is the rule concerning leaving the others floating? Does that lead to erratic behavior? If so what is the proper correction?
Thanks, Gramps

hex

Never leave an input pin floating
A floating input typically picks up 50/60 Hz hum unreliably
Either set unused pins to output, or provide pull-up or pull down resistors.

Having said all that - receiving unknown signals on an input might not cause a problem in real life - but why take the risk? (confession - I leave spare/forgotten inputs floating most of the time and seem to get away with it)

Leaving the MCLR pin floating would be a really bad idea - and will cause problems for most PIC or PICAXE chips. Provide 10K Ohm pullup for MCLR pin to avoid problems
I ALWAYS provide 10K Ohms resistor MCLR to Vcc whatever the circumstances (or I may risk 100K Ohms if low current consumption is important)

Last edited:

hex

Yes, that would be the ideal thing to do.

Check out the circuit diagrams for PICAXE development boards such as AXE022P. You will see that a 4K7 resistor is connected pin 1 to V+

10K or 4K7 will work equally well, but maybe you would prefer 4K7 - just to match what is done on development boards

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

If you're using a 28X2 or 40X2 PICAXE, it is important to wire it up as specified in Manual 1 "Getting Started" at around page 34. It specifies a 4.7k ohm pull-up on the reset pin.

Last edited:

Buzby

My learning lesson ....