figure in Section 3 (Output Device 7-Bipolar Stepper Motor) is wrong

I recently got a small stepper motor which has 4 wires (thus I believe it is a Bipolar). I want to drive it with a PICAXE-08 through a L293D. The diagram showing the pinout of the L293D on page 17 of Section 3 does not seem correct... it shows two motors (I think it is the same drawing that was used for for driving two DC motors on page 12). Does anyone have a schematic on how to hook up a bipolar stepper? I don't know much about the motor that I have except the following: 1. It is very, very, very tiny... the entire thing 8mm in diameter and 8mm high; and 2. It has 4 wires (1 and 3 have continuity and 2 and 4 have continuity). Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The confusion is in the diagram labelling, calling them motors and not coils. Looks like it's one which got through proof-reading when an earlier diagram was re-used.

So given the above notes on the details of the stepper motor I have, pins 3 and 6 of the L293D go to wires 1 and 3 of the stepper; and pins 11 and 14 of the L293D go to wires 2 and 4 of the stepper?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Yes that's the way I interpret it. You may have to swap the wires of your coil(s) over to get it moving or moving in the direction you require.