FETs

thunderace7

Hi. I bought some IRF520/STP14NF10 transistors from the Picaxe store but, looking at the data sheet, I don't think they are logic level FETs. Can anyone confirm, please?

inglewoodpete

While the IRF520 will work when driven by a PIC, it is not ideal and can't be switched on sufficiently to carry its rated current without a higher voltage driver.

papaof2

This bit from the datasheet explains why it's not an ideal match for a pic.
Gate Threshold Voltage 2.0 ––– 4.0 V
It may not work at all when using a 3.3 volt device.
It takes somewhat more than the "Threshold Voltage" to turn an FET on fully.
Continuous Drain Current, VGS @ 10V 9.7A
It may work with a 5 volt device if you just need a little current but not if you need the full current
To get the FET's 9.7 amp maximum current, you need 10 volts on the gate.

lbenson

Many inexpensive logic level N- CH MOSFETs are available from China: IRL520, IRL540, IRL7833, IRLZ44N, IRLB8743PBF--all have worked for me for 12V switching (not high current levels, but some are capable).

neiltechspec

I have used a pair of IRL540's for controlling cooling fan speed - 20A at full speed. Been in use for years.
Numerous other IRL520/IRL540's used on other projects, all direct driven by PICAXE.

The bear

Picaxe ( Revolution Education ) normally recommend IRL520.
Of course, if you ordered IRF520 you can use them for something else.
Good luck.......

thunderace7

Picaxe store only stock IRF520 as a high power FET. I've ordered some IRLZ44Ns from eBay. Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Technoman

Thank you for clarifying the F/L suffixes. I understand now why you can't locate a TTL compatible board with gate driver IC (charge pump), as the IRL family is available. I recently receive some MOSFET breakout boards, fitted with IRF520.:confused:

papaof2

From that datasheet, with Vgs 4.5V and Id of 15A the internal resistance is 8.5milliohms versus 6.7milliohms at 10Vgs and Id of 20A. Probably OK to use a single D4184 FET at 15A and drive from a nominal 5 volt source. 15A dissipation would be I * I * R or 15 * 15 * 0.0085 = 1.91 watts.

Technoman

... Probably OK to use a single D4184 FET at 15A ...
The circuit diagram : Diagram. They probably added a second MOSFET to lower the rDS(on) at VGS=5V, although there is nothing to balance the current in between.
Back to the IRF520 breakout board : you can read here and there that the board can handle up to 5A driven by a microcontroller (Ard..., Rasp...,...). According to a datasheet (STM), at VGS=5V, the maximum ID is 3A... Given as suitable for a 5V microcontroller, some wrote it might also work with 3.3V... I think this is not a fair information as some people could have some issues while using heavier loads.

lbenson

I haven't tried that MOSFET module with heavier loads, but for switching 12V 6W LED panels, it works fine at 3V3.