Event driven email messages

DStewert

Hello. I would like to share a .VBS (Visual basic script) file that i found,which is basically a very compact way to send an email message when my picaxe detects an event. I have the following set up :door contact sensors , IR sensor , temp sensor (DS18b20),keypad, which are connected to a 40X2 PICAXE. The picaxe monitors these sensors and periodically sends serial data to my PC over the axe027 usb cable.Iam running Robot Basic (free) or Modcom (free). Either one of these programs watches the serial data for keywords/data and upon receipt can make a call to an external program (.exe). The external program is the email send VBS script which i converted to an .exe using a program called ScriptCryptor (not free). In my case i have it set up to send a preformatted email to me when my son arrives home from school or if there has been an unauthorized entry into my home. The VBS.txt file can be edited using notepad. You simply change the:from,to,subject,message,port,authentication to suit your needs then save as xxxx.vbs .Next you convert from xxxx.vbs to xxxx.exe . This roundabout method allows the picaxe to communicate with the outside world!

Attachments

DStewert

Converting .VBS to .EXE

Does anyone know of a free program to convert .VBS to .EXE
I used ScriptCryptor which works great but is not free.
That was the biggest stumbling block for me.

westaust55

DStewert

program links

Thanks for program links. They may be helpful for anyone wanting
to have a go at this concept without incurring any costs.

Cheers

kwass

Instead of going through VBS to your SMTP emailing you can use a command-line SMTP program like Postie.exe:

http://www.infradig.com/

I've been using this for many years and it works great, the Free version will do all you need I think.

-Katie

zeljko.ciric

ROBOT BASIC said:
Spawn(se_ProgramName,se_Parameters,ne_Mode)
Will execute the executable program se_ProgramName with the parameters defined in se_Parameters passed to it. This function will run a program (exe, com or bat)
Instead compiling VBS to EXE, you can run BAT script to call VBS script:

cscript name.vbs

It is slower but it will work without compiler.