Error if "if bit1=5 then"?

Pekari

Is it possible to get error message if line is like next:

if bit1=5 then

Because this is never true, because bit is only 0 or 1 !

Sometimes this kind of bugs could be is in program code.

mrburnette

if bit1=5 then

Because this is never true, because bit is only 0 or 1 !
Interestingly, the syntax checker does not give an error.

Code:
main:
If bit1 = 5 then finished
pause 100
goto main

finished:
end
I suspect someone may know why, but I can see no obvious reason why the editor would not catch this unless the compiler is actually using only "0" in the test condition and any non-zero value is assumed to be "1".

- Ray

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It is possible for compilers to error on lines of code which make syntactical sense but don't make semantic sense but in most cases compilers will only catch syntax errors.

The notable exception for the PICAXE compilers is for "HIGH pin1" and similar where the outcome is most likely not what the writer intends, so there's a 'for the greater good' argument to label that an error even though it's syntactically correct and in some cases semantically correct as well. Some disagree with that decision.

There's never going to be agreement on what semantic issues to check for and such checks can rarely be comprehensive. If an 'all or nothing' case is best, 'halfway' isn't deemed good enough but 'all' is unattainable, it can be argued 'none' is the best state of affairs.

There's even an argument that such lines are not semantic errors, perhaps a deliberate attempt to cause the comparison to always fail ( for debugging or during code development ) and giving an error in that case means some other way has to be found which makes development more awkward.

No matter what's done there will be an argument which says that's wrong.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I suspect someone may know why, but I can see no obvious reason why the editor would not catch this unless the compiler is actually using only "0" in the test condition and any non-zero value is assumed to be "1".
In this case the compiler doesn't check what the number is, as the firmware just looks at the lower bit of whatever that number may be to give a binary comparison. So it's always a 0 or 1 comparison, regardless of the number entered, so in this paricular case 5 is treated as 1.

nick12ab

@Technical - that does not seem to be the case

Or is this yet another thing for which the simulator does not match the real chip?

Attachments

Last edited: