Editor-6

cactusface

Hi,
Just installed the new Editor-6! Yes I like it very much but it don't like my Windows 7, 64bit. I can only run it for a couple of minutes and it hangs, to the point the even the Task manager can't fix it and I finish up hitting the reset button on the PC. Some times it will open the file/open window but then not close it after, other times windows overlap each other....

It's a shame looks very neat, could get me interested in Picaxes again.... Still I'm sure it will get better with time.

Regards

Mel.
--

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We are not aware of any specific Win7(64) issues, in fact almost all of our development is carried out on this version of Windows, so it is the most tested of all the Windows versions! Perhaps you can email us the BASIC file you were using so we can test it?

cactusface

Hi Techo,
I get a few problems regardless of what .BAS file I'm working on, so I don't think any perticular file is at fault. So I have uninstalled the editor and made a good clear install again, but with the same results..

1) I create a new wookspace and name it.
2) I add one of my working files to it.
3) When I set the options in the same workspace box? for PIcaxe type and com port, that part flickers badly,then it all pales out and locks up!! 50% of the time
4) When moving from say the Simulator TAB to HOME, only part of the screen clears, leaving me in a mess with parts of both TABs showing, moving back to the previous TAB, don't work and can make it worse with a total lock up that only a PC reset can fix.
5) If the simulator finds a syntax error, just pressing the OK button on the box, can lock it up
6) On the plus side this seems to be a very good bit of work, with some very nice features. I Wonder if it could be my onboard graphics, but then it's not really very demanding in that dept!! But I could try fitting a card that I have... So it's not Win-7 which I know can be a problem for somethings, like installing the AXE027 cable driver?

Here's a couple of screen shots, in the second I have clicked the OK button a couple of times, with no effect or change.

Am I on my own? does no one else have the odd problem??

I wait to hear.

Regards

Mel.

E6-1.JPGE6-2.JPG

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You certainly have a non-standard Win7 colour theme (e.g. your bottom task bar) and fonts going on, is this a custom setting you have created? We're wondering if you are missing a standard font?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Am I on my own? does no one else have the odd problem??
The issue does seem odd and I don't recall anyone having reported similar things happening - such things would be rather difficult to miss and we have not seen anything similar during development and testing.

Everything looks okay apart from the odd parts of the display and there should not be any lock-ups. Neither Windows 7 nor installing AXE027 drivers should cause such things to happen.

Clutching at straws; it could be a memory issue. Perhaps try a memory test ( though not sure how on 7 - you may need to set a BIOS option ) and also see how it behaves when there are fewer things loaded after a re-boot, without having launched Word etc. I once had some very peculiar and inexplicable issues with a memory chip which proved to be faulty.

cactusface

Hi All,
Thanks for your feedback! The only things I changed was to make the font 2 points larger for my poor eyes and the simulator background colour. I've now tried a PCIe graphics card which did'ent help at all, done another clean install, but now at least it's useable. The main problem is the Workspace box and the items within, on the rev-ed site the screenshot shows pick boxes with arrows to open and choose, I don't get that as the attached images will show...

I like it, it has some very nice features, but can I use it, perhaps I can handle the odd hang up. I find I can't leave the settings tab open and try to do something else? If I set the Picaxe type and Comm port, but leave the tab open, then I get a problem...

When I first put this PC together, earlier this year I made the mistake of buying cheap memory, and yes an independent program prooved that, so I got some good stuff from Kingston, and I only notice a problem in the editor and no other software I run, like Diptrace, Word, etc. I think something like Diptrace would soon complain of memory problems or show strange happenings, like this.

Here's a couple of shots taken today.

Regards
Mel.

E6-3.JPGE6-4.JPG

cactusface

E6 Problems.. [Solved]

Hi All,
Many thanks for your replies, today I once again tried to used the E6 editor only to find once again it was being a real pig and hanging on me almost everytime!! So I did a good unistall and manually removed the folders, etc. I then went and downloaded it again, but it's a newer version v6.0.5.6 and guess what it works just fine.. Without any mods to my system or the way I work.

Who's a happy man! Here's the before and after shots..

Thanks and regards

Mel.

Attachments

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
You have Windows font size set to 125% (not the normal default 100%). This 125% setting should now work fine with the latest version.

Hello Technical,

I just installed PE 6 and yeah I am looking forward to work with it.
One thing that struck me when I opened an old .bas file of mine was that my comments seemed to be all over the place compared to PE5 and that letters like ü,ä,ö (I am swiss-german) converted to �.
Any suggestions to solve this?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
One thing that struck me when I opened an old .bas file of mine was that my comments seemed to be all over the place compared to PE5
File>Options make sure the tab size is same as what you used in PE5.
Then use the 'realign to tab stops' menu to realign (this is under 'Indent' button on ribbon).

and that letters like ü,ä,ö (I am swiss-german) converted to �.
Make sure your file type is saved as type UTF8 not ASCII, again under File>Options.
In some cases for some accented characters you may need to copy/paste the program from PE5 into PE6, because PE5 files are ansi and hence not always unicode compliant (PE6 uses UTF8 unicode).

Last edited:
The tab size is the same as in PE5.
The "realign to tab stops" feature would be quite nice but doesn't always work as expected. One would think that the comments should start at the same position when this function is used - but that's not always the case.
Besides it's still a lot of work when you have to manually align each line with a comment from PE5-programms...)

Make sure your file type is saved as type UTF8 not ASCII, again under File>Options. You may need to copy/paste in the program, because PE5 was not unicode compliant (PE6 is).
That did the trick - thanks!

17b

Hi, i just downloaded PE6. Again, great work, guys!

Is there a german language pack available?

SgtB

I've found a bug dealing with blocks. If you try to use the right arrow key to move either to the end of the block name field, or to the right of block end marker ( } ) it crashes with a stream error. It fails gracefully, but asks to send an error report. It also seems to break the right arrow key from that point on until a restart.

Last edited: