Editor 6.0.8.4 not auto backing up since New Year date rollover

fastgrandad

For some reason my pc decided to seize up today whilst working on a project and before I had saved my latest software version. 'Never mind' I thought, it's backed up automatically, however, when I went to the backup folder, the last backup for any project was at 23:40hrs on 31st December 2015, and nothing since, even though I have been working on a couple of projects over the past few days, have autosave set to 5 minute intervals and reprogrammed the 14M2+ frequently over the period.

It may be a coincidence but I am tempted to ask whether the roll over to 2016 has caused this to happen, although I can't imagine why it should.

Incidentally, the PC crash occurred at least twice whilst I was playing with the 1307 clock (and making a bad job of getting the I2C code right). It hasn't crashed since I sorted the code although, again, I can't see why this should have such a bad effect on my PC. If there are any log files that might help with diagnosis, point me to them and I'll make them available.

Many thanks

Paul

inglewoodpete

I hadn't done any software development since New Year until now. Having now done some, I can say that no backups are being created for Version 6.0.8.3. I know, I know, it's a version that I should update but I can state that the error is mirrored on another PC.

Having just attempted to update my post, I'm finding the latest version of the forum software acting a bit strange, too. IE11. Forum editing worked after unloading/restarting IE.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't normally have auto-backup enabled but when I turned it on it worked for me. Details of what auto-backup settings you have may held us investigate.

fastgrandad

So, inspired by the fact that Hippys worked when he enabled it, I disabled then re-enabled auto and it's now making backups again. All I did was uncheck the box, click ok, then re-enabled, without closing and restarting Editor.

It would be interesting to know if Pete's does the same.

As always, thanks for the support.

Paul

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for the update. That seems to be the workround but we will check to see if there is an underlying issue.

inglewoodpete

It would be interesting to know if Pete's does the same.
I did some further development this evening. I checked the backups folder after a couple of hours. Lo and behold: a backup file every 10 minutes! I have not changed any setup parameters, so I have no idea why it has decided to work today but did not work yesterday.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The backup feature works on a Windows interval timer, it does not calculate intervals using the time/date (even when appending the current date as a string to the filename if that feature is selected).