Easy way to install download jack

Gramps

I'm sure everybody knows this but me.
Just realized it was a really cool way to set up a project board.
Just installed a 4 pin female header!
Gramps

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

You'll find that the adapter board is intended to be permanently connected to a breadboard. The 10k and 22k resistors need to be permanently connected to the PICAXE chip for it to work.

At a pinch, you can connect a 100k ohm resistor permanently between the SerIn pin and Ground on your project board. This should allow the plug in module to program the PICAXE chip while keeping the PICAXE stable when the interface module is absent. However, I'm not sure that RevEd recommend it.

Gramps

You'll find that the adapter board is intended to be permanently connected to a breadboard.
I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing it out! There is plenty of room to install a download jack which we will do. Glad I asked. That would have been a real headache later.

erco

I've been using 3-pin headers exclusively for programming cables on breadboards & pcbs for nearly ten years. Jacks take up too much real estate. On PCBs I solder a 3-pin male header near the Picaxe socket, then connect to a Goeytex-style adapter using servo extension cables. An early version shown below.

Tvmender

I design all my PCBs or veroboard circuits with a ISP 3 pin SIL header and use my dinky adapter I made with the download socket and 3 pin DuPont connector on the end. Works a treat.

wapo54001

Do I recall that the 22K resistor is present only as protection against RS-232 voltages? Isn't it time to remove it? Anyone still using RS-232?

papaof2

Depends on whether I find the AXE-027 or one of my hand-built versions from a previous generation of electronics ;-)

AllyCat

Hi,
.....the 22K resistor is present only as protection against RS-232 voltages? Isn't it time to remove it?
Not necessarily. A PICaxe can be operated at 2.5 volts Vdd or lower. A USB serial adapter could deliver 5+ volts, enough to "Phantom Power" the PICaxe and/or perhaps exceed the (20 mA) rating of its internal protection diodes. Not to mention transients, or "mistakes" when connecting the programming interface cable. Particularly as there may be a temptation to add a Vdd (5v supply) fourth pin to the header, which is not normally protected against incorrect insertion (the PICaxe "Legacy" 3-pin header was at least physically polarised).

Cheers, Alan.