Ds1307 Rtc

John O

The datasheet for the AXE033 LCD says that the RTC option provides a programmable alarm output. But the datasheet for the DS1307 itself doesn't seem to have an 'dedicated' alarm output pin.

I was thinking of using the DS1307 in a separate, stand-alone, application that requires accurate 1 hour and 24 hour time intervals (with reference to the actual real time - ie the hour intervals must be "on the hour"). Does the lack of a dedicated alarm output mean the main circuit would have to continually poll the RTC for the time?

If so, can anyone recommend a suitable replacement for the DS1307 which does have an alarm output - preferably in a standard DIL package - which could trigger an interrupt on the main Picaxe.

Thanks,

John.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The alarm functionality of the AXE033 is in the main controller chip, not the DS1307. For a standalone DS1307 RTC, to have alarms, you do have to keep polling. That can be aided by using SQW/OUT to generate an interrupt every second, then check the time.

I don't know of a DS1307 equivalent with alarm outputs but Google may help.

russbow

John, I use the M41T81 chip and love it.
It has the same I2C address as the usual RTC.
Don't know if it's DIL

Russ

Attachments

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It may also be worth considering SPI RTC chips. The DS1302 doesn't have alarms nor any SQW/OUT but does have battery trickle charging; the DS1306 adds alarms and SQW/OUT but has a larger footprint. You'll have to compare datasheets for accuracy and full capabilities.

westaust55

As just mentioned in another thread . . .
The D1S337 which is similar to the DS1307 but no RAM instead has two programmable time-of-day alarms. SOIC package

John O

Thanks, all, for the ideas.. The DS1306 looks promising.

While looking for the various datasheets, I came across this one - which our local supplier (RS Components) has in stock - albeit it would have to be part of a minimum charge order.

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0424/0900766b804242d4.pdf

Does it look promising?

A normal DIP package is becoming increasingly necessary for me these days, unfortunatey :(

Edit: The DIP version of the DS1306 is on Maxim's "Samples" list, so it's even more promising :)

John.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The PCF8563 looks promising. It often simply comes down to what you can get your hands on which will do the job.

MartinM57

PCF8563 doesn't have a battery backup capability but has a usefully low Vdd of 1.8v.

You could try prototyping a poor man's battery backup by feeding:
- your normal +5v source via a diode to the PCF8563 Vdd
- a CR2032 backup battery also via a diode to the PCF8563 Vdd

Can't see why it won't work...then you have a battery backed up RTC with alarms..and one that you can get hold of and in DIP format as well.