Driving the AXE33 LCD display

Rickharris

This is just a comment that may be helpful to others - i got an AXE33 display and clock module out today and set out to connect up to demonstrate to a student - Despite having done this several times from a picaxe28 board the )* refused to drive the display - or the display refused to display. Everything double and tripple checked.

Long story shortened the Picaxe 28 uses a 6 volt power source but the 08 is only 4.8 volts - Not enough to get the display running.

Even with the protection diode shorted as suggested in the data sheet the display refused to work until I connected a 6 volt battery pack to the display with a common ground to the 08 board which ran from it's 4.8 volt batter pack.

All worked fine but potentially very frustrating if you don't:

a) read the data sheet fully
b) don't have the test equipment to see what is a happening.
c) have the patience to stick at it until you resolve the problems

Hope this helps someone in the future and save pulling any more hair out.

Andrew Cowan

I had this problem with my GCSE project for a while (long time ago).

It worked one day, then it stopped working - 5V supply, all wiring correct. I posted on here, but didn't solve the problem. It turned out, as you suggest, that the LCD display justs needs lots of voltage - without it, it is too dim to see.

Andrew

westaust55

good to know of the possibility even though I use an AXE033 from time to time and always on 4.5V (3 x AA cells) with the diode bridges and always get a clear readable display. Maybe a bit to do with batches of LCD modules.