DPScope 1 users - Info for installing & use on Windows 11 (fresh/clean installs)

kranenborg

Hi All,

In case some of you are still wanting to use your Womai's original DPscope version (possibly not the DPScope II, nor the PCB-Scope / DPscope SE versions as sold via the Picaxe store as their accompanying software likely is different) - like I do - and you wish to use it on Windows 11 (Fresh/clean installs):

Since Windows 11 does not have any ActiveX / VB6 support anymore, the accompanying software will not work out of the box. However, yesterday I was able to isolate the four key ActiveX files (.OCR) needed (and their registry installation guidelines) and thus got it all working again. I actually have a special, unpublished version of the DPScope software from Womai that has a very useful extra selectable "holdoff" functionality (100ms - 2000ms, particularly useful for analyzing serial protocols). After several years I find the scope very handy and compact for typical uses in Picaxe projects when I am not at home so I am happy it is still with me.

DPScope-Screenshot 2023-11-03 234026.png

Please respond if you are interested, I can provide for the files (DPScope I software variant with holdoff + ActiveX files) and the instructions to get it all working again.
/Jurjen
https://www.kranenborg.org/maker

Last edited:

regpye

Hi All,

In case some of you are still wanting to use your Womai's original DPscope version (possibly not the DPScope II, nor the PCB-Scope / DPscope SE versions as sold via the Picaxe store as their accompanying software likely is different) - like I do - and you wish to use it on Windows 11:

Since Windows 11 does not have any ActiveX / VB6 support anymore, the accompanying software will not work out of the box. However, yesterday I was able to isolate the four key ActiveX files (.OCR) needed (and their registry installation guidelines) and thus got it all working again. I actually have a special, unpublished version of the DPScope software from Womai that has a very useful extra selectable "holdoff" functionality (100ms - 2000ms, particularly useful for analyzing serial protocols). After several years I find the scope very handy and compact for typical uses in Picaxe projects when I am not at home so I am happy it is still with me.

View attachment 25921

Please respond if you are interested, I can provide for the files (DPScope I software variant with holdoff + ActiveX files) and the instructions to get it all working again.
/Jurjen
Yes I am interested, I just purchased a new notebook and it comes with Windows 11 installed (unfortunately)

PhilHornby

Since Windows 11 does not have any ActiveX / VB6 support anymore, the accompanying software will not work out of the box.
How do you mean ❓

The "It Just Works" compatibility statement for Visual Basic 6.0 applications is still in place for Windows 11. I downloaded the DPscope software into a Windows 11 Virtual Machine and it installed and ran. It did complain that I didn't have the requisite hardware connected, but that's fair enough.

Presumably, the installer for the "special version" you have, forgot to ship the required .OCX files - but originally you already had them on your system?

kranenborg

How do you mean ❓

The "It Just Works" compatibility statement for Visual Basic 6.0 applications is still in place for Windows 11. I downloaded the DPscope software into a Windows 11 Virtual Machine and it installed and ran. It did complain that I didn't have the requisite hardware connected, but that's fair enough.

Presumably, the installer for the "special version" you have, forgot to ship the required .OCX files - but originally you already had them on your system?
I think you are completely right, so installing the released versions by Womai should not pose any problem, and Regpye showed the proof ... . Thanks also for the background info, as I learned something here as well. I now remember that my special "holdoff" version .EXE file needs to replace the standard .EXE file after a normal installation of DPscope has been executed (which likely installs the required ActiveX files as well).

By the way: this special "holdoff" version is actually available for download:
  • Here is the link to the thread with the proper download: link (see the description, this .exe file needs to replace the original dpscope.exe, as it is not an installer itself)
  • Here is the link to more background info om the "holdoff" implementation, since I requested this kind of functionality: link
A few notes on this holdoff version:
  • As indicated before: it is only available for DPScope I, not any other variant
  • It was implemented om top of V 4.1.6, not the final V 4.1.7. I am intending to contact Womai to see whether he would be willing to add the holdoff functionality to the latest software releases for both DPScope I and II. But the chances of success are low ... .
/Jurjen

Last edited:

kranenborg

Had a chat with Womai on the possibility of adding the holdoff functionality to both DPScope I and II, but alas: His development tools are old and appear to have been broken with more recent Windows upgrades. So that's the end of this endeavour, but it is still available for the DPScope-I via above link.

/Jurjen

Last edited: