Downloading Issues.

g6ejg

Hi,

Having never been able to dowload from my laptop to the experimenter board (axe090) using various USB-Serial adaptors (including the USB010 ) I purchased the USB-Picaxe cable AXE027 thinking it would solve all my problems but nope, exactly the same problem - ie the old "hardware not found on COMX" messages.

The AXE090 board and picaxes all work just find from a desktop with a "proper" serial port so I know there are no issues with the AXE090 etc.

Ive tried the test option within the program editor and the correct voltages are being measured on the board. The software drivers all loaded correctly and no errors are being shown - indeed the program editor finds the serial port.

Any clues? Has anyone else come across this - its toshiba laptop running XP Home.

Thanks in advance

Gareth.

demonicpicaxeguy

what model is it
i used to have a satellite 2100cds had no end of trouble with it and serial port on it wasn't exactly the greatest it wouldn't work with certain modems

westaust55

Have you installed the PICAXE USB drivers?

See under heading AXE027 PICAXE USB Download Cable at

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/ then click the SOFTWARE tab and scroll about 3/4 way down.

Read somewhere (cannot find it in a hurry) that the Windows XP inbuilt FTDI USB Drivers will not work with either the PICAXE or BASIC Stamp microcontrollers for USB connector type serial comms.

g6ejg

Hi,

Its a satellite 1410-604 but not using an onboard serial port ( since it doesnt have one ) - I am now attempting to use the axe027 USB lead.

Yes, I have loaded the drivers from the website - the lead when plugged in appeared as a new device, I instructed XP to load the drivers from where I had unpacked them. It then loaded drivers for the cable AND the com port drivers for the cable.

Note that the USB010 cable doesnt work either.

As I wrote originally, the cable appears to be working in so far as I can measure high and low voltages when using the test options within the programming editor.

It just wont program the picaxe ( or read the firmware version for that matter ) - but I know the chips and the experimenter board are OK since they work fine with a desktop and proper serial port.

Gareth.

g6ejg

New PC - still cannot download.

Further to my previous posts I have now purchased a new HP 6720 laptop which is running vista.

I have downloaded fresh versions of the programming editor and the drivers for the axe027 - with exactly the same results, ie the picaxe's cant be seen. Ill recap the points again in the hope someone may have some ideas.

1) I am now running vista on a new HP laptop.
2) my old toshiba runing Xp home couldnt see the board either.
2) the programming cable is the axe027
3) the end device is the axe090 experimentor board - about 4 years old now and built ready constructed.
4) the axe090 works just fine when driven from a desktop using a "real" serial port
5) it also does not work when using a USB-Serial converter - including the USB010 that I have.
6) on both the toshiba and the new HP both the picaxe driver and the com port drivers were installed from the picaxe website ( ie they werent existing versions loaded from elsewhere ).
7) The problem exists with several different types of picaxes
8) The "test" button does cause the rx line to alternate high / low as measured on a voltmeter
9) fresh batteries are in use ( and the voltage is correct)

Im now of the opinion the common factor is the axe090. Its relatively old - says version 1b on the reverse of the board and has a sticky label on it saying R2 is now a surface mount version.

Does anyone know of some design feature in the early boards that required a proper RS232 signal? This is driving me crazy now!

Thanks in advance

Gareth

g6ejg

Downloading issued - fixed I think?

Further to my last post I think I have resolved the issue.I briefly mentioned that the board has a paper label on the underside stating that R2 ( 10k ) is now surface mount and connected directly across the 3.5mm socket and R2 is therefore not fitted ( ie in its normal location ).

Whilst just checking the circuit through I realised that the board had been supplied with the surface mount 10k resistor AND R2 in place ( also 10k ). Ive just removed R2 and the USB lead is now finally working correctly.

Ive had the board nearly four years and never got it to work with the laptop, now I know why.