Download woes :-{

meridian

I am probably the 100,000th person to have this problem.
I haven't used my proto board for some years, but it is working with Stan's single digit thermometer. All the programming links are in place, the cable looks OK.
Pin 2 Serial goes to leg 7
Pin 3 serial goes to the junction of the 10k and 22k resistors, 22k goes to pin 2, 10k goes toGnd
Pin 5 Serial goes to Gnd
I am using the following:
Asus laptop with W7 64bit
PE 5.2.10
A USB-Serial cable of which I have a few.

Its quite a while since I programmed, probably on the old Toshiba/Vista machine which was replaced a year ago.

The PE (and Device Manager) finds the cable on COM12, and testing the port shows 0V and 4.5V on Ser in pin 2.

When I try to download to a 14M with the power off the chip, I get the message about missing h/w, etc after about 5 - 10 secs. If I apply power straight away,I get an error message
"Serial port error - code 0X1F54 'Error reading comm device'

I say "Why the 0xFFFF doesn't it work?"

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

I am probably the 100,000th person to have this problem.
I haven't used my proto board for some years, but it is working with Stan's single digit thermometer. All the programming links are in place, the cable looks OK.
Pin 2 Serial goes to leg 7
Pin 3 serial goes to the junction of the 10k and 22k resistors, 22k goes to pin 2, 10k goes toGnd
Pin 5 Serial goes to Gnd
I am using the following:
Asus laptop with W7 64bit
PE 5.2.10
A USB-Serial cable of which I have a few.

Its quite a while since I programmed, probably on the old Toshiba/Vista machine which was replaced a year ago.

The PE (and Device Manager) finds the cable on COM12, and testing the port shows 0V and 4.5V on Ser in pin 2.

When I try to download to a 14M with the power off the chip, I get the message about missing h/w, etc after about 5 - 10 secs. If I apply power straight away,I get an error message
"Serial port error - code 0X1F54 'Error reading comm device'

I say "Why the 0xFFFF doesn't it work?"
I've told you a million times: don't exagerate:p

The piece of information you haven't given us: Go to the hardware manager and find the serial device. Does it say "Prolific PL2303"? I suspect so.

I'm not sure but I don't think there is a driver for this chip for Windows 7 /64 bit. Hopefully, someone will prove my wrong.

Edit: According to the Rev-Ed downloads page, you need Version 3.2.0.0 of the driver for Windows 7. Click on the link at the top of this page. The USB010 uses the Prolific chip.

Last edited:

meridian

Well we haf good news and bed news ...

After repeatedly trying (and failing) I walked across the cabin to the Vista PC. Lo! and behold! It works!

The USB/serial i/face is indeed Prolific 2303 and it works in the laptop with the Pactor modem f'rinstance. So buggered if I know ...

Apologies to any Germans for stereotypical accent.

inglewoodpete

For the record, can you confirm what driver version you have loaded in the W7/64 (that doesn't work).

It may instil depression in others in the future.

meridian

Thanks Mr Pete from Inglewood! I found the new driver and it is just what the doctor ordered. How about that, problem solved in an hour or so, what a fantastic resource this forum is!

Now I can go and think about my anchor alarm project.

More news as it comes to hand.

BTW, I have many USB and serial devices, so sometimes the COM ports go up to the 80's (lots of Bluetooths). PE only allows 16 which can be a nuisance. How about 128?

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

Thanks Mr Pete from Inglewood! I found the new driver and it is just what the doctor ordered. How about that, problem solved in an hour or so, what a fantastic resource this forum is!

Now I can go and think about my anchor alarm project.

More news as it comes to hand.

BTW, I have many USB and serial devices, so sometimes the COM ports go up to the 80's (lots of Bluetooths). PE only allows 16 which can be a nuisance. How about 128?
Glad we got there! Good the know that there is a driver that works for W7/64.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Good to know that there is a driver that works for W7/64

I believe both AXE027 and USB010 have been proven to work on all Windows OS's ( XP, Vista and Windows 7, both 32 and 64-bit ), with posts on the forum confirming that.

That's not to say that they will work on all systems as we have also seen from other posts but it's not clear why that is, it appears to be specific system issues rather than systemic issues. The AXE027 appears to have fewer issues than the USB010 does, and most problems seem to be related to incorrect drivers or installation issues.