Download Problems.

Joeroddis

Hello, ive looked around but couldn't find exactly what i was looking for.
Here is my problem;
When i try and download a program to the axe using the programming editor i get the
'hardware not detected on com3
hardware not powered
hardware not connected etc'

I've made sure its connected, it's definatly powered, and ive tried doing a rest countless times but i still can't get it to work :(

I've also tried the serial test and it appears to be fine.

The strange thing is, an hour or so ago, i put a program on it just fine with no trouble.

Does anybody have any suggestions? i need to finish this project for thursday!

Thanks!

are you using the usb to serial adapter coz i found it sometimes lost the comm port on my laptop, and so i had to search for it in the device manager, take it out re-insert it and then set it up again.

also i found sometime s if i turn the whole circuit off for a minute it would then dl, so maybe try them, i guess its coming to project hand in date... lol, im building my robot hand at the moment which is due for assessment on tuesday!
still got a LOT of oprogramming to do but it does look kewl (videos to come on youtube)

hope i helped??!?!
:D
nat

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Try a hard reset.

Hold the PICAXE circuit reset button down, initiate a download, wait until the download pop-up screen shows "Connecting to hardware" in its top bar and then release the button.

If it's an 08/08M or you haven't fitted a reset button, turn off the power, leave a few seconds, initiate download, then turn the power on when the "Connecting" message is shown. Try with power off for longer if that doesn't work.

premelec

Hippy's got it right - I often have run into this when I've put in a 'sleep' in the program I've got running - that command and a few others keep the unit from responding to a new program load... while 'sleep'ing.

jmumby

hate to state the obvious but do check the voltage, my download problems have been with voltage not being quite enough to reprogram but enough to drive the chip in circuit. Has had me chasing my tail.

Joeroddis

Hey guys, thanks for all of the replies!
But unfortunatly, still no Joy :(
I checked the voltage going in and it's 5.75v
I'm currently using a picaxe 28x on the pic28 project board.
Computers drive me up the wall sometimes!
And the reset didn't seem to work either.
Um.. on the device manager, when i go to the prolific usb to serial adapter, and click on propeties then go on port settings, what is the bit speed supposed to do? has that got anything to do with it?

Joe

BeanieBots

5.75v is rather high.
Try dropping to 4.5v. 3 X 1.5v AA type cell is always a good thing to try when any type of problem occurs. Download issues are nearly always power supply related.

Joeroddis

Roboteernat, hippy, premelec, jmumby and BeanieBots Thankyou so much!
It's now working and the project can commence, right now i'm so happy :D
eeek
I changed the voltage, unplugged usb-serial and changed ports, Resetted then restarted computer.. and it works!
Now for a sleepless night :)