download cable kills timer1 ext oscillator

steirny

I had a lot of difficulty trying to get my 32kHz clock going on my pendulum project. I wasted many hours with no success. My clock would just not tick.

I refreshed my memeroy on Pearce oscillators, Googled around, read the data sheets, particularly chapters 4, 6 and 7. But still no luck.

I tried different 18X's, caps, protoboards and even an aerial soldered birdsnest, in case capacitance was a problem.

During all these experiments I had the standard download circuit always connected. Yep... that was the problem. When I disconnect away she goes. I can even connect my CRO without upsetting it.

What I can't believe is that I didn't disconnect at some other random time to discover this earlier. Thats Murphy for you.

My laptop uses +/- 5 for the serial port. Now my enhanced download uses a series diode works which well with 3 x AA's. I haven't tried the parallel shottky to ground.

I'm curious. Any theories on why this happens? It just stops dead. I can understand why it affects the ADC, but this is a totally different port. Are the internal rails so sensitive as to lock up the timer1 driver?

Lesson I'll never forget! Use the enhanced download for just about everything.