DIY Protoboard V.2

Jakob2803

I soldered this thing together a couple of days ago. It has got decoupling caps. I hope they are they right kind. A big one for power fluctuations and a small one for higher frequency noise. It has a red LED on the serial out so it is visible when the chips are communicating with the computer. It has three jumpers for connecting Serial In to the chips, and three jumpers for connecting power. I used those "rolled/turned pin" IC sockets because they are supposed to be better than pressed sockets.

I have not yet recieved the cable for the DC plug so I have been using a battery clip inserted into one of the µC sockets.

Constructive criticism is welcome. :)

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I have not yet recieved the cable for the DC plug so I have been using a battery clip inserted into one of the µC sockets.
In the spirit of constructive ( and non-destructive ) criticism, it's probably best to temporarily solder the battery clip leads to the board. If a lead pops out of the socket, touches something else, it could cause potential damage.

MartinM57

Low value decoupling cap is good :)

It's normally placed as close as possible to the PICAXE, so if you put some standoffs at the corners of the board (also stops the table getting scratched by the solder joints) then you can put a low value cap under each PICAXE socket, soldered directly to the power pins

Jakob2803

Low value decoupling cap is good :)

It's normally placed as close as possible to the PICAXE, so if you put some standoffs at the corners of the board (also stops the table getting scratched by the solder joints) then you can put a low value cap under each PICAXE socket, soldered directly to the power pins
Ah yes. :) I should at least have put one for each of the 14 pin sockets, because the power pins are at the end of the socket, so it would be easy. Standoffs would be a good idea, I have not found any cheap ones on Ebay yet. I do have shield headers so I can build other boards and put them on top.

Is there a reason why you don't just use a breadboard/prototype board?
Not really. I did not want to pay for a real one. Also the DIY spirit. :D And the whole shield stacking thing. I wish I could etch PCBs though.
Also you should go here and complain too.