Displaying ASCII art correctly in Firefox

evanh

I have found a workaround for the forum bug that messes up the displaying of fixed width fonts in Firfox.

In Firefox's general prefs, change the default setting of using webpage specified fonts to use only the fonts listed in the fonts settings.

Evan

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Actually its a FireFox bug, under html specifications it should always use a proportional type font with a html < code > tag - but it doesn't always.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
<code><pre><font size=2 face='Courier'>
.---.---.
| | |
|---+---|
| | |
`---^---'
</font></pre></code>

Edited by - Admin on 03/03/2006 01:07:44

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
That still doesn't resolve the fact that Firefox does have a bug - the code tag, under html specifications, should force a monospace font such as Courier by default. It should not be necessary to specify a font.

We're not anti-Firefox, in fact it has many benefits, its just its users tend to blindly believe it is bug free!

Edited by - Technical on 2/2/2006 5:12:25 PM

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I'll agree it doesn't fix the bug, but it overcomes it, which means FireFox users can actually see ASCII Art and code samples as intended. It seems a simple enough change to make and worthwhile for what it would deliver.

evanh

My reasoning is quite simple. I've used and seen ascii art on other forums and never struck this issue before.

Evan