DIPTRACE - cannot find LDR component?

KandH

Hi all,

If anyone here uses Diptrace, please could you let me know where to find an LDR in the libraries? I've looked everywhere and can't find one, so I've resorted to using a variable resistor part but I'd like to do it properly.

Many Thanks,
Morrolan

Dippy

I've never used DIPTRACE, I was just wondering how long it would take to create your own?

In Ranger and EasyPC it would take just a few minutes for something as simple as that ... which is quite a lot less than the hours you have already waited for a reply ;)

And, of course, LDRs come in different flavours, so to make a few options would take half an hour including coffee breaks.

Or is it difficult in Diptrace?

westaust55

I do not have DIPTRACE on the PC in from of me to check it one exists.

Certainly it does not take too long to create a new component both as a schematic symbol and the PCB pads layout.
Even easier if you can find a part that you can close as a starting point.

You will then need to save into your own library.

KandH

I believe there is one in Mycroft's library. Are you looking for the schematic symbol, the PCB layout, or both?
Both ideally, but at the risk of sounding somewhat stupid, ignorant or both, who is Mycroft? :eek:

I have no problem creating my own, but I've only just started using Diptrace and this was my first circuit using it, so I didn't quite want to jump in with both feet (yet). Because I'm only a casual hobbyist, I find Eagle to be too much of a re-learning curve each time I pick it up, and the library issues I've had drove me mad!

Dippy

No, not stupid or ignorant at all.

I haven't seen Mycroft around on-Forum for quite a while.
He did a number of components for Diptrace some time ago.

I don't use Diptrace so I can't do one for you.

Maybe the 10 minutes it would take you to do one for yourself would be a useful bit of 'education'?
Don't forget that LDRs come in different shapes/sizes, so what would you do if Mycroft's LDR is a big one and you wanted a small one?

Have a go and then you can share your component outline/PCB design with others.
Personally, unless I'm feeling lazy, I don't have the patience to wait hours/days for something that takes minutes ;)

westaust55

Diptrace

Both ideally, but at the risk of sounding somewhat stupid, ignorant or both, who is Mycroft? :eek:

I have no problem creating my own, but I've only just started using Diptrace and this was my first circuit using it, so I didn't quite want to jump in with both feet (yet). Because I'm only a casual hobbyist, I find Eagle to be too much of a re-learning curve each time I pick it up, and the library issues I've had drove me mad!
Mycroft is a long time forum member.

Both mycroft and I have developed some add in libraries for DIPTRACE.
certainly mine does not have a LDR - mycroft's may have

Our two libraries are avialbale from here:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10576

It is not hard to create your own components - I was doing so within 24 hours of downloading DIPTRACE

Time to direct you to the search feature of the forum as well . . . ;)
If you do a search I wrote a Forum search tutorial ages back in the completed project section. That gives some guideline to find things here and even a what if a search fails (ie how to use google specific to the forum)

KandH

Many thanks for the replies, but more than anything I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the existing libraries! :D

I'm more than happy to create my own components as a lot of the stuff I'll be using doesn't appear to be listed in Diptrace, and I will of course make my library available.

I'll make sure to check out the libraries in that thread first and post any additional components I create.

Many THanks,
Morrolan

westaust55

Checked last night (Aust time) and mycroft's library does include an LDR.

Seems my home ISP is blocking this forum again :mad: preventing my access in the evenings (while waiting for other taks to complete)