Designspark PCB vs. Diptrace

womai

I am quite familiar with Diptrace and own the full version, but always like to look around what else is out there. I have heard about Designspark PCB several times in the past, and it seems one of the few truly free programs (i.e. neither feature limitations nor does it tie you to a specific vendor for fab like e.g. ExpressPCB or PCB Artist do) with a modern GUI - or did I miss something in the fine print? :)

So now my question:

Does anybody have experience with the advantages & disadvantages of Diptrace (the full, paid-for version) vs. Designspark PCB? Capabilities, quirks, limitations, things that are easier/more difficult to do?

Please note that this is NOT intended as yet another "what is the best PCB software" thread or "what other free PCB design software is out there" thread - I know there are many other commercial programs out there - I am specifically interested only in a comparison between these two programs.

Dippy

I'll just bump this as I doubt that many (any?) other individuals here will have parted with 500 quid for the full Diptrace, unless their school/work bought it for them.

It will be interesting to see a comparison between that and a freebie Designspark (itself a cut-down EasyPC with some bells and whistles).
I hope someone has done some detailed CAD with both.
And, don't worry, I'm not going to launch into my favorite CAD (Proteus and ORcad oops).;)

manie

I have the paid version of Diptrace (500 holes). However, I have not seen the need to look at something else. Maybe I should have a look see..... ?

Dippy

Please do. Spend a few weeks (not a few minutes) on Designspark and then let us know. It's useful data.

manie

Womai and Dippy: Will see what my time allows.

OT: Dippy, did you finally start looking at stars ?

manuka

I'd been aware of it's availability,but have not (yet) used DesignSpark.This somewhat relates to my lengthy past experiences with RadioSpares (RS),as their telephone number prices (especially in the weak $NZ /$Aust era 10-20 years ago) were near scandalous. Fish hook alert! Free from RS may mean there-has-to-be-a-catch...

Anyway- times may just possibly have changed- so check the DS web site for numerous user postings & opinions. Mmm-their enhanced Ver 2 even offers "stunning 3D PCB views" - who could resist.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dippy

The thing is that womai asked for an experience-based comparison as opposed to a quick review of DS in isolation.
(Before someone says; such&such does 3D views too! Which are the comments that womai was hoping to avoid I assume?)

I hasten to add that any DS comments I would make are after using it for 47.3 minutes in total - and therefore my novice opinion is worthless esp as I've never used Diptrace to compare. All I can say is that looks and behaves like a cut-down EasyPC which makes it easier to drive.