Data Format for Debugs - Technical?

inglewoodpete

Some time ago I wrote a debug logger for PICAXE 'Debug' outputs in VB2005. The tool received the debug data from the PC's serial port, added a timestamp and formatted the data into a CSV file that it could load into MS Excel for additional processing/charting etc.

The tool proved to be invaluable for plotting voltage/current curves for a NiMH charger I developed using an 08M. From memory, I have also used it with other, 'old' generation chips like the 28X.

I have recently started development using a 40X1. I realise the new generation of PICAXE use 28 variables plus lots of other data in their debug outputs. I thought I could enhance the VB application to accept the revised format debug outputs. However, I can see that the format is not so easily interpretted.

Can Technical (or anyone else) reveal the format of debug outputs from the 28X1 and 40X1? Or is it 'proprietary' information?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
In your code change the baud from 4800 to 9600 and then look at the bytes from 85 up (instead of 35 up).

inglewoodpete

Aha! Many thanks. I didn't think there would be enough space in a PICAXE to encrypt the output. I hadn't considered the baud rate!

I have now coded the option into the logger.