DARLINGTON TRANSISTOR ARRAY

gidgee

Hi, this a hack I hope I can use, my project consists of a veroboard layout using a SEVEN DARLINGTON TRANSISTOR ARRAY, I need only FOUR arrays of the available seven, the Three redundant arrays are what this query is about, can I remove the IC legs of the redundant arrays as I need to use the tracks that run beneath the DARLINGTON IC uncut, also, can I place a decoupling CAP across the POS and NEG supplies of the IC
thanks john

BeanieBots

However horrible that sounds, I can see no technical/electronic reason why you should have any problems doing what you suggest to the poor old darlington array.
I'm not sure exactly what you asking by "can I place a decoupling CAP across the POS and NEG supplies of the IC". If you mean solder it directly to the pins, then yes, in fact that would give better decoupling but be careful not to damage the chip with the soldering iron.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
If using an IC socket for the Darlington chip, you can pull the legs out of the socket and leave the chip intact.

Using a socket makes it easier to replace the chip if it does get damaged or fail, and if you are ever in 'desperate need' of the chip for another project, you can remove and re-use it, even if only temporarily. If you ever build a Mk II version of your circuit, it also means components can be more easily moved over.

I always recommend using IC sockets rather than soldering chips, not least in that it eliminates any potential damage done while soldering.

gidgee

Hi Hippy, that is exactly how I planned to do it, I should have been more explicit in my request.
thanks
john