Cutting a picaxe in half

Hey guys, I have a 14m2 picaxe. I need it to be smaller to fit in a certain space and I dont have time to order an 08m2 picaxe.
I only need 1 i/o pin from the chip.

If I were to literally cut the picaxe in half leaving the +,- serial in,serial out, b.0,b.1,c.4 and c.5 pins would it still operate correctly?

thanks!

eclectic

srnet

No.

The silicon die, which is the chip inside the package, is normally located in the middle of the package, so you would cut it in half, killing it.

westaust55

In line with a recent suggestion from InglewoodPete in another thread:

Can you stack another 8 pin socket in the existing 08M2 socket to gain some height over other components on the baord.
Then plug the 14M2 into the 8 pin socket so physical pins 1 to 4 and 11 to 14 are in the 8-pin socket.
Then when you buy an 08M2 just swap them out.

14M2 B.0 == 08M2 C.0
14M2 B.1 == 08M2 C.1
14M2 B.2 == 08M2 C.2
14M2 C.3 == 08M2 C.3
14M2 C.4 == 08M2 C.4
14M2 C.5 == 08M2 C.5

Only the i2c from the 14M2 would not be available but as you only want 1 IO pin than is obviously not being used.

Last edited:

Goeytex

It depends upon how large the die is. Certainly if you cut it off in the center it would not work. However you may be able to grind off the bottom row of pins over even the bottom 2 rows. However, If you try this expect failure. If you only have one 14M2 and it fails, then where will you be time wise?

I would try to figure out another way. Perhaps deadbugging the Picaxe will get you out of this predicament.

fernando_g

I would dead-bug the 14M, essentially it means soldering wires to the pins, such that it floats in the air, to make the project functional. Order your 08M, and replace the contraption when it arrives.

I've dead-bugged many thru hole components in lieu of its equivalent SMT counterpart many times, for a quick fix.