Custom Heatsinks

vshortt

Anyone know of a company that will do small run (4 or so) extruded heatsinks in a custom profile?

These heatsinks have to be 48" long

vshortt

yes, I have googled and didn't really find anything that would suit my needs.

What I'm working on is an LED light, something that would replace a flourescent fixture.

My thought was to have a profile that was finned on top, flat on bottom, but the fins would collectivley make a "round" profile. It would essentially look like this:

The 3W LED's would sit in the small recess on the bottom of the heatsink in a row.

Last edited:

papaof2

Do you plan to nstall these in a vertically mounted fixture? The heatsnks won't get much airflow if mounted in the usual horizontally mounted ceiling fixture.

John

Andrew Cowan

Good point. Hot air rises, so it would get trapped between the fins. Is the light fitting itself going to be made of metal?

A

vshortt

Yes, there will be a number of small fans along the top of the heatsink. They will be mounted horizontally.

It is my hope to use the heatsink as the main lighting housing, there will be a seperate "controller" box that will house the electronics to run to LED's.

Dippy

If you are going to use fans do you need such an expensive extrusion.
If just a few off 'prototype' design why not fabricate and save money (and weight).

Have you done any calcs to work out the heat dissipation you need?
Will you be using nice quiet Papst (or other branded) fan or noisy cheapy jobbies from the Beijing fan company?

I would have thought that if you scaled up a small heatsink you could avoid a fan. If you designed your fins you could optimise convection in the intended orientation too. Hot air (!) isn't going to get "trapped" in an open design but the fin geometry will affect convection/conduction.

How will your LEDs be 'connected' to heatsink?

lanternfish

Having re-read the posts I cannot help but wonder if the heatsink design is a bit of an 'overkill' in terms of the heat it will be required to dissipate.

If it is more of a design feature, there are quite a number of aluminium 'designer' fittings that could be modified to suit.

As for the fans, you probably only need one at each end to get air flow moving through the fins. Fans mounted horizontally on the top could be less efficient.

MartinM57

So I ditch my 4ft fluoro lights on the kitchen ceiling and replace them with 4ft heatsinks with fans on them (in some orientation I can't quite understand) and a few high power LEDs spaced out along the length - is that the idea? Just trying to understand - and sell the idea of the wife having to get the feather duster out to remove all the small animals that will love their nice warm and dark homes betwen the fins ;)

Dippy

Oh Martin, you are cynical! :rolleyes:

A lot of the design will, of course, depend on how many LEDs to be used.
I would be tempted to look at designs already out there, then do some power calcs, look at currently available heatsink designs and extrapolate.

4ft of that extrusion would probably weigh half a ton.
And if in the house then consider how painful fans would be.

BeanieBots

Or just buy an LED replacement tube that fits into the existing flouro fitting.
They do exist and look/feel just like a flouro tube.
Can't recall the last site I looked at but Google should find the devices.

As for heatsink requirements, the major problem is thermal resistance between LED and heatsink. After that, not many W/degC are required.
For a "feel" I have a 10W LED fitted to a heatsink approx the size of a MR16 halogen lamp which only gets about 10 degC above ambient with no forced air cooling.

gengis

Seems to me I've already seen a TO-3 heatsink with that profile, so there is someone set up to extrude them. Just remembered where I saw it - on my water heater. The slot in the center is 1-1/4" wide, the fins are 1" tall, and the width is 3-3/4". Shaped like the drawing - only 8 fins total.

I think they were in the "Wakefield" catalog. Machined and anodized and drilled for 2 TO-3 parts. The stock extrusion is probably cut to truck lengths. Mine is 4" long.

Some new heatsinks aren't extruded at all, the (very many/very thin) fins are anchored in a piece of bar stock with epoxy or a metal to metal interference fit. "Electronic Design" did a article on them recently.

vshortt

LOL, I love the debate!

Actually, these are going to be aquarium lights. I agree that they will be heavy but the heatsink part itself will actually be part of the asthetic design.

Right now I"m just kicking the idea around - it's more of a feasability study than anything else. My thought would be to have the entire "housing" for the LED's be the heatsink, which is why I came up with this design. I Don't expect the extrusion to be any larger in radius than a flourescent bulb, so that might bring the weight down.

I have done the calcs and yes the heatsink wouldn't be overkill, but it's also a design factor, they would "look" finished and be easy to install. I'm not sure about the "wheres" and "hows" to mount the fans yet either.

There are going to be, at a minimum 20 1W or 10 3W LED's depending on the light configuration. There are a number of things to take into consideration when creating an aquarium light for a saltwater aquarium.

Many of the living creatures in a saltwater aquarium use light to actualy synthesize food (like anemones and corals) so this light will be MUCH brighter than a standard CCF light.

There are a number of straight flourescent light replacements on the market right now, most of them use small SMD mounted 30ma LED's to create a similar light pattern. These lights are almost 10 times the brightness.

Par values are also critical, so there is a mixture of White LED's, Blue LED's and Magenta and Red LED's.

JoeFromOzarks

This may sound silly, but my favorite "custom" heatsink material is Aluminum Flashing - it's inexpensive, available about everywhere, and it cuts, rolls, bends, drills and shapes easily!

SAborn

I had a look around the net earlier and see you can get extruded thermal plastic heatsinks that the claim to be better than aluminum, and half the weight.

As you want to use this with salt water it might be the better option

BeanieBots

Actually, these are going to be aquarium lights.
As soon as I read that I thought 'I hope this isn't a salt water aqaurium'.
Then I read.
There are a number of things to take into consideration when creating an aquarium light for a saltwater aquarium.
:eek:

Aluminium and salt water don't last very long together.
Be VERY careful. The aluminium will corrode very quickly at the first sniff of salt, then it will dissolve and the extremely toxic product will kill all your fish and invertibrates.:mad:

Dip your heatsinks in varnish (non marine because that too is a fish killer by design) and then leave to dry for two weeks followed by two weeks in a bucket of tap water to leach out the solubles. Change the water every day during the soak period.

Good luck!

vshortt

Thanks for the idea about the varnish.

These are actually going to be powdercoated which will take care of that problem. Thats how commercial aquarium lights are sealed.

BeanieBots

Now that LEDs are bigger, brighter and cheaper I may well have a go at LED aquarium lighting myself. Spent many months getting the flouros to dim, dimming LEDs will be a doddle in comparison:cool:

I was thinking of taking an easier route with a bank of these:
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/60cm-cool-white-tube-extra-unit-p-2105.html?osCsid=e82ef754b13d3716706d5a4489702a43

a few of these
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/water-proof-unit-p-2156.html?osCsid=e82ef754b13d3716706d5a4489702a43

and/or maybe some of these
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/g24d-65w50w-light-output-cool-white-p-2233.html?osCsid=e82ef754b13d3716706d5a4489702a43

Last edited:

vshortt

I am sure there is something similar on the market, it's just not targeted at the aquarium market. Standard CFL's don't work with a saltwater aquarium.

For example, I'm currently running a 400Watt Metal Halide on my aquarium. Soft and hard corals as well as many anemones just require so much light at a specific wavelenght.

the other part is that I am programming a pretty sophisticated light controller. it will have a number of different settings and the brain not only will control the lights, it will also control pumps, filters, etc.. it's going to be a complete unit that handles all the electronics for the aquarium, monitor water quality, etc...

The LED's will be highly configurable and even have the option to mimick a "lightning storm" as well as several other weather types. This means I need to be able to manage each led individually... hence the need to create my own lights.

I appreciate all the hints about "premade" lights, but they just don't fit the bill for my project.

I think I have come up with a great solution for the heatsink, and it's cheap and lightweight. You can get a number of different aluminum extrusion patterns on that great big auction site. I am going to pick up a few pieces for about $30 and see how well they will work as the heatsink. If they work well, they will definatley be stout enought to act as the support as well... I'll let everyone know what kinds of temps I get with this setup and try and post some photos.

If it works, this would be a great solution for some seriously CHEAP heatsinks for high power LED's. to the tune of pennies for each LED if you chose to cut up the extrusion and make individuals.

We'll see what happens. Ingenuity is the name of the game, right?! At only a few bucks per LED, I can afford to destroy one or two trying this out!

kevrus

If the heatsinks require cooling, why not pump the aquarium water through/around them...or is that a silly idea?

vshortt

That would seem like a good idea at first, but the aquarium water has has to be maintained at a steading 78 degrees F at all times, so using the water as coolant would lead to making the entire aquarium hot eventually.