creating a 75MHz Oscillator

Bloody-orc

Hi there. is there a way to make a 75MHz Oscillator youreslf using like 15MHz one or something like that. i need one but i cant buy it from anywhere (and can't buy it outside my own country sadly). is there any way that doesn't cost over 10$?

Thanks in advance
Rain Ellermaa

Michael 2727

Try Google there is tons of info on making
oscillators.
Getting exactly what you need may be the hard part.
Suggest you go for a pre-made tunable module,
to save a few dollars.

Seems 75mHZ is a standard frequency.
<A href='http:// http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/compshop/25200005.pdf ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Edited by - Michael 2727 on 11/03/2006 20:29:26

womai

What exactly are you trying to do with it? Not knowing the specific problem, there are basically 2 options:

(1) create 75MHz as the master reference, and derive 15 MHz from it.

(2) create 15MHz as the master reference, and derive 75 MHz from it.

(1) is fairly easy - frequency division by an integer number is always easier than frequency multiplication, and can be done by purely digital circuits. It will also run from DC to some maximum frequency. Easiest if the ratio is a power of 2 (e.g. 2, 4, 8, etc.) but your divide-by-5 is still not too bad. You simply need a binary counter with a reset input, and add feedback that resets the counter whenever it reaches 4 or 5 (depends on the exact architecture, if the reset is synchronous or asynchronous). In most cases the reset circuit is a simple AND gate with 2 or more inputs. Fast CMOS gates (74HCxx series) may be up to the task at 75 MHz - need to check the specific data sheets. The oscillator does not need to be highly stable in this case.

(2) needs a phase locked loop (PLL) consisting of the same divider, a voltage controlled oscillator (VCO), a charge pump, and some minor components. Most of it is analog and thus much more complicated! Also any specific design only works over a limited frequency range.

I highly recommend Horowitz &quot;The Art of Electronics&quot; which is ECELLENT reading on all above subjects, and written in an easy-to-understand manner.

As for oscillators, dividers (only power-of-2) and charge pumps, a good source is www.minicircuits.com - they have all those components as integrated modules both for solder-on and with coaxial connectors; prices for the solder-on parts are low and they do small quantity orders. There are also quite a few ICs out that have some or all components of a PLL integrated.

Wolfgang

Bloody-orc

thanks for all your replys

I'm trying to make a oscillator for a ucontroller that is going to communicate with picaxe. mut for it to work it needs a 75MHz Oscillator. Ihave yes seen numerous places i could buy it (like parallax and digikey) but they charge 100$ for shiping it here.
i'll try to find more info on freq multiplying also.

manuka

<b>It's still unclear about just what you're wanting to do !? </b>

In an age when 2.4GHz seems the norm, a &quot;low freq.&quot; like 75MHz is almost DC! Even a simple 10 cent LC oscillator (such as found many 88-108MHz FM bugs)will cook up a grunty signal, but cuch circuits tend to wander with temp &amp; stray capacitance etc, so crystal locked are superior.

As mentioned above -numerous cheap (~US$3) off the shelf offerings exist already =&gt;www.zerko.ch/englisch/parallaxshop/components/530637967f09be101/5306379651085a675.html <A href='http://www.zerko.ch/englisch/assets/s2dmain.html?http://www.zerko.ch/englisch/parallaxshop/components/530637967f09be101/5306379651085a675.html ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a> Where do you live that import restrictions &amp; staggering p&amp;p apply ?

There's any ammount of crystal locked 75MHz RC gear (Futaba etc) around too- check a toy shop!

Edited by - stan. swan on 11/03/2006 22:02:56

Bloody-orc

it is an external oscillator for a uController. Like we use 4MHZ-20MHz with picaxes my uController needs 75MHz. It goes into OSC1 or betwean OSC1 and OSC2.
I live in Estonia and they charge like 20$ for that tiny litte thingy...

i dont know how precise those have to be... the uController is SX28 from Parallax and is preprogrammed so i cant use any other freq sadly.

Edited by - bloody-orc on 11/03/2006 22:03:33

manuka

OK-now we're getting to it,&amp; it's nice to know which micro you're using- wish you'd said that to start! Parallax of course handle these fire breathing &quot;PIC on steroids &quot; 75MHz Ubicom 8 bit SX (Scenix) series &amp; apparently sell a <b>636L3C075M </b> SMD oscillator that'd almost mail in on a postcard! Think I saw these are under ~US$1! Have you checked data sheets &amp; user resources such as =&gt; www.piclist.com/techref/scenix/clocks.htm <A href='http://www.piclist.com/techref/scenix/clocks.htm ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>?

With Estonia's apparently crazy freight charges on such items(or is it an import duty?) no doubt other parts are super costly too, so maybe ask yourself -

* Can you find cheaper import routes via a nearby 3rd country? In my hobbiest teens 40 years ago, NZ had costly,slow &amp; highly restrictive imports from US/UK but legal loopholes emerged to bring in small items very cheaply. One of the tricks was to have the gear stripped/repacked o'seas by a friend &amp; relabelled &quot;Used Electronic Equipment&quot; - I recall bringing in a complete ham radio transmitter that way in 1968. Another is to bulk buy &amp; then resell items at a profit to your local mates- much as happens with direct UK sourced Picaxes anyway. Even from here in far flung NZ, I've done this for folks in places like Lebanon &amp; Zimbabwe who pleaded poverty

* Since we're in a global village consider doing something for others in return. My crusty old 2002 Picaxe resource web page =&gt; www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz <A href='http:// www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a> is seriously overdue for a complete revamp &amp; I'd consider payment in kind to some wizard. HINT -HINT ...

*Finally- why do you need 75MHz? Such micro speeds bring hassles galore- EMI etc.

Edited by - stan. swan on 12/03/2006 22:32:43

Harmonic of a sub multiple xtal of 75MHz would work.

Filter off and amplify the desired harmonic. I think this is how my old FRG7 local oscillator works. It gives nice 1 MHz multiples over 30 MHz.

- Andrew