Controlling a vs1002d with a pic

cruzn27

I'm doing a project that will have a pic 16f88 connecting to futurlec's mp3 mini board http://www.futurlec.com/Mini_MP3.shtml.

This board uses a vs1002d chip. I'm a little confused as to how my wiring and programming should be. With this board do I also need a mmc between the pic and board?

I'm trying to use the board to produce multiple voice sounds depending on the code sent by the pic. If this setup will be highly complexed, does anybody have an other suggestions on products I could use to have the same function?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cruzn27

yeah. it should be fine though if I throw a couple resistors before it reaches the board. Is it do able for me to control it that way?

ylp88

I got this chip going around 1 year ago... ah memories...

If you want to playback multiple short (known) MP3 files then you have two options:

1. You can preload an SD/MMC card with MP3 files from your computer. This will be stored using a file system (eg. FAT) and thus your PIC microcontroller will need to read the files off the card with teh file system in mind. Some open- source routines for file system access are available (such as FatFS which I've used with some success).

2. Since the files you are reading might be known, you may be able to dump the raw data onto the SD/MMC card and just use raw read/write routines to read from the known "file" locations. This avoid having to deal with a file system (which I found to be a big hassle to get working and is quite demanding on a microcontroller).

With that aside, all you need to do it write the raw MP3 data bitstream to the VS1002d chip when the chip's buffer starts to empty, monitoring the status if the DREQ pin.

I should warn you that I was using a PIC24FJ256GB106; not the same PIC as you are using.

IMG_4792.JPG

ylp88

westaust55

does anybody have an other suggestions on products I could use to have the same function?
An alternative could be the 4D systems SOMO-14D audio/sound module.
http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=73

Can be controlled by either discrete signals (eg switches) or serial comms.

Has on-board micro-SD memory card slot and dimensions are ~20mm x 20mm

roughly the same price.

Have not played with one myself but others here have already used this module.