communication between Picaxe40x2 and PS/2 port

santhoshR

hi,
I am trying to make a game controller for playing car games with my picaxe 40x2. I have to send the values of up arrow, down arrow, right and left arrow buttons from my picaxe to the game in order to play the game.
I have tried to do this with the sendkeys command in VB, unfortunately the games take direct input from the PS/2 port only, so the VB program didnt work out.
Is there any thing I can do to send these keys via the PS/2 port directly with my picaxe ?
Thank You in advance :)

westaust55

Unfortunately for you proposed project, the PICAXE is likely far too slow.
There are inbuilt commands in the BASIC firmware to read a PS2 keyboard and not to read other devices or sending commands or data via PS2 comms.
The interpreted BASIC takes too long, certainly at default speeds, and may well be too slow even at the fastest speeds possible (64 MHz)
The PS/2 protocol is a little like i2c, but the data rate is faster so not easily bit bashed like i2c has been on PICAXE chips without i2c capabilities.
I have seen specific interface chips to read PS/2 and pass the signals/data to microcontrollers such as the PICAXE but nothing observed as available to transfer data from the PICAXE to other devices